Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new idea for firebird projectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new idea for firebird projectors

so i came up with this idea the other day while sitting in a geology class learning about rocks and crap. I saw a thread about someone retrofitting corvette headlights in a camaro and thought... what about putting the projectors in the top of the firebird headlight so the projector sits at the lip of the flip up. when you would turn on the lights the light would only flip up about 3" to allow the projectors to be exposed.

im wondering if im just stupid or this would actually work and look good. if someone could photo shop this to see what itd look like? im thinking about tackling this over the winter.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Look up the LMC truck headlight mod. (They have reflector type lenses that are a direct fit.) You'll be much happier there.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
so i came up with this idea the other day while sitting in a geology class learning about rocks and crap. I saw a thread about someone retrofitting corvette headlights in a camaro and thought... what about putting the projectors in the top of the firebird headlight so the projector sits at the lip of the flip up. when you would turn on the lights the light would only flip up about 3" to allow the projectors to be exposed.

im wondering if im just stupid or this would actually work and look good. if someone could photo shop this to see what itd look like? im thinking about tackling this over the winter.
I may have mis-read, or just can't really picture your description. From what I gather, you're describing a geo storm....correct? Again, I could be wrong.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what you saying is your going to mount the projector higher so the headlights dont have to open up completely?
Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by my bandit
so what you saying is your going to mount the projector higher so the headlights dont have to open up completely?
yes exactly, im going to try to come up with some sketch or something later. to me the way the headlights flip completely up is ugly (no offense) and there is no reason it cant just open up enough to show the projector.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Save the manuals!

So, would you like the headlight doors to open partially, revealing smaller projector bulbs that you've mounted in a fixed position behind the headlight door?

If so, it could be done with a lot of welding and fabrication skill.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
So, would you like the headlight doors to open partially, revealing smaller projector bulbs that you've mounted in a fixed position behind the headlight door?

If so, it could be done with a lot of welding and fabrication skill.
yes exactly, its going to take a lot of fabrication of the actual bracket to hold the projectors, however the problem im having is figuring out how to make the headlight only open partially.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Having the headlight open partially is the easy part. There is an arm that rotates 180 degrees around the motor body. That arm hits two stops which stop the motor from going past all the way shut and all the way open. If you fabricate a third stop in there, it should stop the assembly at the new point you want to set.

On the fabrication front - that's a bit tricky because the "door" isn't really a door. Its a rotating housing with a door bolted to it. You'll have to cut out the housing, make a mount for the new lamps and then re-enforce the cut-out housing so it supports the door without flopping around and still opens around the new lights.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation

I've been thinking about doing the same thing
Old 10-04-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
Having the headlight open partially is the easy part. There is an arm that rotates 180 degrees around the motor body. That arm hits two stops which stop the motor from going past all the way shut and all the way open. If you fabricate a third stop in there, it should stop the assembly at the new point you want to set.

On the fabrication front - that's a bit tricky because the "door" isn't really a door. Its a rotating housing with a door bolted to it. You'll have to cut out the housing, make a mount for the new lamps and then re-enforce the cut-out housing so it supports the door without flopping around and still opens around the new lights.
well the way i look at it i can pull the stock lights out along with the plastic housing, come up with a new mount for the projector that uses the stock mounts since the projectors are much smaller than factory. maybe i would make a custom plastic cover that would double as a mount?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Save the manuals!

So the new bulbs would rotate in the housing where the old bulbs were? If so you should probably confirm the depth of the new units first. If the new units are deeper than the old bulbs, you won't have enough clearance around the rotating door.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

no it wouldnt rotate, they would be fixed, just using the stock holes. i wish someone could photoshop this for me, i dont have the skills to do it.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Save the manuals!

The stock holes are not fixed. They rotate. When the doors are shut, the headlights point down towards the ground. You should probably have someone sit in the car and turn them on/off for you while you watch. You can also follow the instructions for replacing the headlight motor gears. (easy to search for) That will show you a lot about how these work.