Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How can i add a sub to the stock Monsoon system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How can i add a sub to the stock Monsoon system?

Like a stealth box. I just want something like an 8"-10" sub to put in the right hatch cubby hole. But i don't know a lot about this kind of stuff. How is it wired?

edit: i found this, but it doesn't go on to show how the sub amp is wired to the stock setup
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf..._4-ohm_2ch.jpg

Last edited by branj70; 10-06-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the factory radio does not have RCA hook ups, you will need an LOC line output converter you could also get an amp that accepts speaker level inputs. Both options would work the same as that you splice into the factory speaker wire. The LOC splices into the factory speaker wire and then gives you RCA outpus. An amp with with speaker inputs would take splicing the factory speaker wire then connecting to your amp. Once the amp is getting a signal you would hook the sub to the amps output.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by branj70
Like a stealth box. I just want something like an 8"-10" sub to put in the right hatch cubby hole. But i don't know a lot about this kind of stuff. How is it wired?

edit: i found this, but it doesn't go on to show how the sub amp is wired to the stock setup
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf..._4-ohm_2ch.jpg
A stealth box is powered by a seperate amplifier, not by the stock system. You could potentially disconnect the sail panels to run one but I wouldn't recommend it. To add a stealth sub you need:
1.) stealth enclosure
2.) sub
3.) separate amp (200-400watts RMS is plenty for most)
4.) line level converter AKA hi/lo converter
5.) amp install kit (simplifies the process having all necessary wires)
Hope this helps explain it a in bit more detail.