Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Washer fluid not spraying

Old 10-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washer fluid not spraying

I'm having a problem with my windshield washer fluid spraying whenever I pull the switch. The wipers will go over the windshield like they would normally but no fluid sprays out. I'm almost positive it's electrical related and not a problem with the sprayer motor, and it's not a fuse. This problem turned up shortly after I had my neon wired so I'm thinking they spliced into a wire they shouldn't have, but I'm not too familiar with wiring. Any way to fix this or at least diagnose the problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:30 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you hear the pump turning on when you hit the switch?

Also, check the openings of the nozzles and make sure they're clear.

Is there...washer fluid in the reservoir?

Oh and post some pics of your neon lighting...
Old 10-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

Check the two most common causes:
1) No washer fluid in the tank. 88%
2) A line is clogged. 9% (If you disconnect the line at the pump, you can tell if the pump is pushing fluid out of the tank and confirm if the problem is downstream.)
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

I don't hear the pump, but then again I don't exactly know what I'm listening for. I just hear the wipers going. There is fluid in the reservoir lol, plenty. I checked that and the sensor (for whatever's its worth) first. The nozzle openings are clear and fine. This was literally a night and day difference post neon install: they worked before, they didn't after. Where is this pump located at? Can anyone post some pics or a diagram of some sort (forgive my ignorance)?

Here are a couple of pics of my neon, I like it:

Day pic (for comparison):

Neons!:

Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I thought even ricers stopped putting on neons. Another thing that could be wrong with the washers is a broken line mine broke right where it goes into the cowl. Check the pump first make sure it works then check the lines
Old 10-13-2010, 03:28 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah man you should be able to hear the pump TRYING to work. Sounds to me like it's dead. Good question though. Just where the hell is that thing...
Old 10-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Wow I thought even ricers stopped putting on neons. Another thing that could be wrong with the washers is a broken line mine broke right where it goes into the cowl. Check the pump first make sure it works then check the lines

Seriously though, it's called aesthetic opinion. I like them and that's all that matters. Not only that, but I was one of the only ones in my town that has them, so I would overhear people talking about a "Camaro with green neon" in school and I would just smile. It's all about making your car unique, but I can see where you're coming from. Well the pump may be making noise and I just can't hear it over my exhaust. If anyone knows the location of the pump post it up so I can check it out (I'll take pics if no one's done it yet ).
Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Should I move this to the general maintenence and repairs forum?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like the pump isn't getting power, u should hear it, even if its clogged/no fluid
Old 10-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The washer pump is located dead center in the washer fluid container - IOW, in front of the top radiator support. There are only two wires - red and black - that connect to the pump.

BTW, test with the ignition ON but without starting the car. That way you'll be able to hear it without any exhaust noise.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-14-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the diagram WhiteBird00. It's not the pump because it's making noise, or maybe it's just broken. Either way, I still believe it's the wiring. Pump makes noise, hose is connected to the pump, and the nozzles are clear.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

If the pump is making noise then it must have power and ground so how could it be a wiring issue? You can check with a test light or multimeter at the washer pump connector - black is ground and red should have power only when the ignition is on and the washer switch is activated.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Save the manuals!

100% it's a clog. Start by unplugging the hose at the pump. If nothing comes out, you will need to take the pump out and romove the mung from the pump inlet screen.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If the pump is making noise then it must have power and ground so how could it be a wiring issue? You can check with a test light or multimeter at the washer pump connector - black is ground and red should have power only when the ignition is on and the washer switch is activated.
Duh, I should've known that . It more than likely is a clogged line then. How would I go about removing the pump? Do I need to unbolt the resorvoir to get the pump out?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Bump, I have a chance to work on this today.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Unplug wire. Unplug hose. I believe the pump just pulls off the tank. (You'll want to drain the tank before you do this.)

Did you test it with the hose disconnected first? You may not even need to take the pump out based on that test.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having this problem now just after someone installed a new windshield at a windshield repair shop. My driver side squirts but my passenger side doesn't. Does this mean someone forgot to reconnect something? How is it connected? I have no clue. I suck at taking all the cowl trim pieces off so pictures would be helpful.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I think it's safe to assume the windshield shop failed to reconnect the nozzle. The wiper arms and air inlet grille panels must be removed to replace the windshield so the washer nozzles must both be disconnected. Take it back to them and have them fix it.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Nice to revisit old threads in hopes to solve issues we run into with these cars. Anyway I topped it off with washer fluid today and the pump kicks on but nothing comes out so I'm thinking it's clog and from the looks of things it seems you have to remove the front clip to access the pump. Does anyone know of a video or how to for this?
Old 01-26-2020, 06:06 PM

Default Broken Fluid Line?

This is such an old thread and probably nobody cares anymore...but since I learned so much from all those posts, here’s my attempt at giving back.

My 96 Camaro has had low pressure on the windshield washer for a long time. It was just a trickle on the driver side and a dribble on the passenger side. I’ve replaced the fluid pump (el cheapo one made it worse, so I put the original one back in), and checked for clogs at the nozzle by sticking guitar strings in since they conveniently come in many different sizes. Finally today, I decided to take the cowl off to see what was going on and in the process found that the hose—which is hard plastic—had a kink right by the cowl after it exits the wiring loom. As I inspected further it just crumbled in my hands. So a leak in the hose was causing my problem. I just got a hose that’ll fit over the original hose and replaced the crumbling part and now I have full pressure on my washer.
The following users liked this post:
Love my LS1 (05-08-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Washer fluid not spraying