Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fog Lights and Horn not working

Old 10-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lights and Horn not working

This has been going on for some time now. Both my fog lights and horn dont work(sometimes). It has to do with the relays, because on a couple different occasions, I have bought new relays and they work for a while. If the car has been sitting for a few days, they wont work at all. If I take the car for a couple hour straight drive, they will start to work near the tail end of the journey. I need to get this figured out, so that I dont keep going through relays @ $13 a piece! I have nothing hooked into the relay box, but I am running a Optima red top battery. Could the Optima have something to do with this? And I know someone is going to ask, yes I am positive both fog light bulbs are good! Please help!!!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Anyone have any input on this?!?!?!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I my self have a red top.
And im pretty sure
thats not the cause of your problems
I have one in my car and never had this short of problem.

Hopefully Whitebird will chime in and help you.
He's a wizz at this stuff.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I saw this thread yesterday and to be honest I was stumped. I checked out the circuit schematics last night and I can't find any common point in the two circuits. The only thing they seem to have in common is that they both have relays in junction box #1 under the hood.

The Optima red top isn't the problem. In fact, any battery would not cause this problem and the red tops are excellent - mine is five years old and still going strong (twice as long as most batteries last in Florida).

The common relay failures must be a clue. Is it possible that the relays are getting wet more than they should? For example, is the junction box cover missing? Or are they subjected to unusual heat such as from headers?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Nope, the fuse block has a cover, that is secured. I do have lt headers, but I was battling this issue before and after I installed the headers. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-17-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about the contact points of the relays? Are they nice and clean? I remember I had several components go out, regularly, until I replaced contact points (corrosion problem), combined that with Dielectric grease to ensure they stayed clean for a good time to come.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:05 AM
Teching In

I will definately try that. Thanks for the good info!!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the exact same problem.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 AM
Teching In

My horn works fine but my fogs stopped working about 4 months ago and I can not figure out why they stopped working or find a way to get them working again. Also my gas gauge is acting up as well, I will start my car and it will say empty, then back it out of the drive way then put it in drive and then neutral and the gauge will start to work again??? then a few miles down the road the gauge will die again and go to empty...ugh!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Teching In

I will let you know when and if I get a solution to this problem. May be a while though, as I am out of the country for a couple months.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an issue similar to this. I think it was somehow related to my pass side headlight harness getting water in it. Not sure how, but it stopped when i fixed the harness issue.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Any resolve? I lost my horn a year ago minus some possessed moments. Now two days ago I lost my dogs lights...I hate electrical problems
Old 01-15-2024, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mike171562
I had an issue similar to this. I think it was somehow related to my pass side headlight harness getting water in it. Not sure how, but it stopped when i fixed the harness issue.
Hello, I live on a barrier island that floods regularly, floods on every coastal low pressure system. Most of the time I aboe to drive through it. Unfortunately the most recent flood had both northbound lanes on the main roadway were occupied by vehicles driven by people who enjoy wading and trolling along 13 blocks, one of them was even thinking hard about it and came up with idea of using their flashers. They knew better than to either blast threw it and commit or do not attempt. I had no choice at the moment and had to troll along behind them or right up on them.
Because of this my fog lights, horn, and high beams aren’t working I also just realized why my low beams aren’t that bright and it must be that my low beams aren’t working either and it’s my running lights that are on. I’m sure there may be some other things wrong that I have not picked up on yet. But if it is possible, would you be able to tell me as best or specifically what you did to solve the problem. Thank you , my name is Thomas

Search this Thread