Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

MTX Thunderform?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTX Thunderform?

Anyone using the MTX thunderform in their F body? I'm looking into the amplified version, and just wondering how it sounds, and how loud it can get? I'm looking for nice tight bass, but want it loud when it needs to be.

How does it install? Can you run it with the stock BOSE head unit or do you need to upgrade to an aftermarket deck?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have it and absolutely love it. I would drop the MTX speaker and get something like the Alpine typeR for the actual sub. I wasn't too happy with the MTX at all, but when the right speaker goes in, it is quite a little performer. Make sure to stuff it. The stuffing makes the air move like it is in about twice the size of a box, so it can produce pretty great bass when needed. More than my ears can take anyway.

It can also be made to look quite good:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-can-look.html

I assume you can run it from the stock, but I honestly don't know about that.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Thunderform uses the cheapest sub that MTX makes, 4500 series. Not a good sub. It is also powered by a pretty weak internal amp. It kind of has to be weak otherwise it would blow that sub up.
The enclosure is fine loaded with a different sub but then you still have a weak amp to contend with. I have done this before and it just didn't do the upgraded sub justice and the customer was MUCH happier with a decent aftermarket amp.
Really depends on the amount of bass you want and what kind of sound quality.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:03 PM
9 Second Club

Wow, I had no idea they offered an internal amp on it (guess I should have read more closely the OP). I would personally never buy an amp that is an afterthought. The box is worth it, but buy the amp to fit the speaker, or better, buy both to match...and from Kee Audio!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

So do you really think it's worth it? I can get the amp'd version for 150 from a member on here, but I want some decently loud bass.

Think I should just make my own box?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 PM
9 Second Club

If you have TTops, there isn't a reasonable to put a custom made box. The MTX fits so nicely and really works perfectly for an out of the way solution. For $150, JUMP ON IT! It is at least $200+ new unloaded. You will notice a HUGE improvement over stock, no question. Then look at an amp and sub from Kee Audio.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Staging Lane

I Like mine! I'd buy it again. I picked mine up 2nd hand for about the same price. I'm running mine along with Alpine CDA-105, Kicker Speakers in door and B post.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Young camaro
So do you really think it's worth it? I can get the amp'd version for 150 from a member on here, but I want some decently loud bass.

Think I should just make my own box?
I wouldn't bother making your own in this case. For $150.00 I would buy that and run it till it blows or until you feel the need for more output. You might be satisfied with the amount of bass it puts out...probably not...but you never know. It will put out more then the stock system anyway. If you feel the need for more down the road you can always use the enclosure and upgrade the sub and amp at that point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MTX Thunderform?