Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pulled head unit, now car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled head unit, now car won't start!

I'm really lost on what has happened. It's a 2002 Z28, Monsoon with no sub. I disconnected the cables from the back, and even with it uninstalled was able to start the car. I plugged in the new radio with the car still running, but when I backed out of the parking spot I noticed my headlights didn't automatically kick on like usual. So I turned the car off thinking it was something minor, and when I went to start again nothing happened. It doesn't click or anything. The lights still come on the dash and courtesy, I hear the fuel pump prime, but the car won't even attempt to turn over. Needless to say I'm really lost on what to do. The security light on the dash still flashes until I turn the key to on, then it goes away. I tried installing the factory radio back in, and it works, but still no car start. Is it possible I fubar'd a wire trying to put all the extra wiring with the new radio harness back into the car? Should I disconnect the battery and see if maybe that resets anything?

Also, I noticed on the black 10-pin single connector, it has a bare metal wire which appears to be wrapped around the wiring harness, is that just a ground or something jerry rigged that might be part of my issue? It just struck me odd .
Old 10-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Bump, I popped the clutch from a rolling start, but none of the gauges aside from oil pressure work. Would the fuse for the gauges be the same for the ignition?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Launching!

Bump, anybody got some ideas?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Harder Faster Stronger

Probably a blown fuse.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Check the fuses first.....

Quick Reply: Pulled head unit, now car won't start!