Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How do you connect Amp Power wire from Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default How do you connect Amp Power wire from Battery

When I told a buddy that I needed to buy a ring terminal to tap into the Positive terminal of my battery, he said that it wouldn't work because the threads in the terminal could get damaged if I put something between the battery bolt(?) and the terminal.

I just did a hillbilly workaround but it looks terrible and I'm a little concerned that it's either not safe, not efficient, or both.

How did you connect the amp power wire to the battery?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could get the Stinger SPT85309 it is a battery post for GM side post batteries. It would replace the factory post and allow you to connect the amp wire at the top.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sidepost batt terminal
Old 11-01-2010, 01:38 AM
Launching!

I just purchased a side post battery terminal extender at autozone...same as stock but with a extra part you can hook on accessories too.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I'll check Autozone tonight. Thanks!

Another question. After reading threads here, I went to Lowes and asked for 4 gauge "Welding Wire", and it looks like 4 gauge but it's really hard to mold. It's not impossible, it'll just be annoying. Looking inside the cable, there's a bundle of fairly thick wire. I showed this to a friend and he said that that's not the kind of power wire he used.

Did I buy the wrong wire? Is it supposed to look like speaker wire (i.e. a million thin wire strands)? Here's a pic. Each of those strands are solid copper pieces (not a bundle of tiny strands):

And even if the wire I got "works" is it better to get a different kind of 4 gauge wire?

Last edited by cyberkill; 11-01-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by blackram_air
you could get the Stinger SPT85309 it is a battery post for GM side post batteries. It would replace the factory post and allow you to connect the amp wire at the top.
this is what i did on mine with 0 guage wire
Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

you got regular house hold power cable prly
Old 11-01-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
you got regular house hold power cable prly
Sigh....I'll have to go back to Lowes today after work. Anyone know if Lowes carries real welding cable? the kind that I need for hooking up an amp?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm gonna guess no, you are better off hitting a welding supply store to get what you need.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZYA_LTR
I'm gonna guess no, you are better off hitting a welding supply store to get what you need.
Where is everyone getting their 4 gauge amp power cables (without buying online)? (What's an example of a welding supply store?) Is there any way to get this without buying an amp wiring kit?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

most audio shops sell amp wiring by the foot. Not sure if best buy does or not. Why are you looking for welding wire? Welding leads are made for welding not for running electronics in your car. To keep your car safe use the proper wiring. Just my .02 worth.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Power is power whether it's for welding or electronics so welding cable is perfectly acceptable for use as large gauge power wire. In fact, in some ways welding cable is superior because of its tough insulation that will stand up to environmental factors.

Many of the large industrial supply chains will carry welding cable. Do you have a Graingers near you?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did some googling/yellow pages and found a little car audio shop in the area that sold me 4awg wire for $1.50/ft (I hope that's good).

Only reason I was looking for welding wire was because a bunch of my googling/forum searches found people saying they used 4 gauge welding wire to connect to their amps, so I wanted to go with a tried and true method.

In any case, I finally got the amp hooked up, and got 2 speakers running so far. The rest should be hooked up today. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Power is power whether it's for welding or electronics so welding cable is perfectly acceptable for use as large gauge power wire. In fact, in some ways welding cable is superior because of its tough insulation that will stand up to environmental factors.

Many of the large industrial supply chains will carry welding cable. Do you have a Graingers near you?
Thank you WhiteBird00 for the explanation I do Bridge construction so when I hear welding leads I think of leads that alot bigger than 4ga wire. Thus my concern in using it, what we use will handle well over the amps generated by a car amp.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cyberkill
I did some googling/yellow pages and found a little car audio shop in the area that sold me 4awg wire for $1.50/ft (I hope that's good).

Only reason I was looking for welding wire was because a bunch of my googling/forum searches found people saying they used 4 gauge welding wire to connect to their amps, so I wanted to go with a tried and true method.

In any case, I finally got the amp hooked up, and got 2 speakers running so far. The rest should be hooked up today. Thanks everyone for your help!
For future reference, it's usually cheaper to just buy a 4ga amp kit then wire by the foot. And happen to know what brand wire you got? And did you get the proper fuse?
And welding wire is nice if you need something as good/better then 0ga wire but it doesn't really have the same flexing ability as most audio wire, though it is cheaper.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
For future reference, it's usually cheaper to just buy a 4ga amp kit then wire by the foot. And happen to know what brand wire you got? And did you get the proper fuse?
And welding wire is nice if you need something as good/better then 0ga wire but it doesn't really have the same flexing ability as most audio wire, though it is cheaper.
I did consider a kit at first, but the kits that I saw were going for > $80 at Best Buy with just 4 awg wire, fuse + holder, and amp remote wire. I ended finding a car audio shop around here where I got 25' 4awg, a fuse & fuseholder, plus ring terminals for about $30-$40 and I already had some extra power wire (14 awg maybe?) for my amp remote. The car audio shop sold me 4 AWG for $1.50/ft.

Quick Reply: How do you connect Amp Power wire from Battery