Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

When replacing the front speakers with aftermarket do I use crossover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When replacing the front speakers with aftermarket do I use crossover?

I am about to install my speakers and was reading a little bit online before I did, and read something someone wrote saying they didnt use aftermarket crossover because the stock amp already had one??

I'm replacing the stock monsoon door speakers with JBL 4ohm.
Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What model JBL are they?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

jbl c608 gti mkii
Old 11-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

First of all you are doing NO justice to those speakers. Powering a $400.00 set of JBL components with the Monsoon amp is going to be disappointing to say the least. Those are great speakers and hopefully you have plans to power them with some aftermarket equipment in the future as you will never see the full potential of those speakers through the Monsoon equipment. It is underpowering them and leaving alot of distortion in the sound signal.
Please note I don't mean to sound condescending, you picked a really nice set of speakers!
The stock Monsoon does have bass blockers going to the tweeters. You can use the stock connectors and reuse them with the JBL's which would allow you too plug back into the stock connectors. This keeps the stock systems frequency seperation intact. That being said, with those speakers you are leaving alot of potential on the table by doing this but there isn't alot of other options since it sounds as if the stock system is still being used.
Good luck!!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was not impressed with the sound through the stock amp..
If it will make them sound better I'd be more than happy to get a new amp..
I'm do not know very much about car audio, right now I just hooked them up to the factory connectors.
Which amp would power these speakers and possibly the sail speakers?
Will I re-wire the speakers or can I just take the wires off the stock monsoon and hook them upto new amp.
I have some 4ohm MTX's in the sail panel (I'd have to look at them to figure out model)
Old 11-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Banned

With what you are currently using you really don't have the right combination of speakers for the stock system. That's why it doesn't sound good. Nothing you are using is optimal with the stock system.
Good news is that you can use a decent 4-channel amp to run what you already have (both sets) and it will sound worlds better then the stock amp with those speakers.
If you plan on a stealth sub box in the future or just adding a sub at all (looking ahead) you could use a 5-channel amp that would run all of that together...front, rear and a subwoofer...all in one amp. Cool thing is you could run your front JBL's and rear MTX off this type of amp and later just add the sub when you are ready and you would already have something to power it with.
What kind of budget do you have in mind? I have all kinds of amps in different price ranges that can take care of those speakers. I can also include the install gear so you have everything you need to install it. You would have to rewire the speakers to the new amp. I recommend just leaving the stock harness in place so if you ever want to put the car back to stock you can. Just run new speaker wire to the stock locations from the new amp. I can include a 50ft. spool of speaker wire to this with along with an amp kit.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe I'll just call you and see if you can set me up with something.. do I just call the (770)402-1884 number?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by conor.davis
Maybe I'll just call you and see if you can set me up with something.. do I just call the (770)402-1884 number?
Sorry, got super busy today. Call me around 3:00pm EST tomorrow and I will be available.
Thanks,
Ian