Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

stereo/cap problems

Old 11-06-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default stereo/cap problems

well about a month ago my stereo was cutting out on me off and on. the volume would just go way down and get all distorted. within the last week i upgraded to the big3 wiring and put in a larger alternator. today i went back to my car to try to figure out my system. i charged my capacitor and fired the system up. worked great then started acting up again. a lil background on components and what they are doin. the capacitor is a 20 farad tsunami and when the stereo sounds right reads 13.8 volts at idle/ then it drops to 8 and distorts then back up to 13.8. i'm running 3 amps 2 800 watt audiobahn mono's and 1 600 watt 4ch...the 2 mono amps dont read any volts or say lo and the 4 ch says either lo or 13+ volts....anyone have any idea of what might be going on...could it be the cap or maybe something else...i know the battery has gone dead quite a few times and this was the first time since i had everything installed that i actually charged the cap
Old 11-14-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

no one??? finally have the volts and power to listen to my stereo and i cant anymore....someone has to have some kinda sugestion or idea
Old 11-17-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

really.....come on i know theres some stereo wizards in here...i spent my time learning mechanics and i really dislike electrical stuff and really dont know much on stereo past wiring up a hu so i'm begging for help here
Old 11-18-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How old's the battery? It possibly has a dead cell, which would cause it to discharge to quickly, and not hold a full charge.
Have you tried taking the cap out of the loop, then seeing if it still happens?
Have you double checked your AMPs power cables from the battery to the amps, and the AMPs ground cable connections?
You could have a loose/bad connection, possibly a defective fuse.
Have you tried swapping out all the fuses with new fuses?

Search this Thread