Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Firebird LT1 HID?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Firebird LT1 HID?

Ok guys, I've searched through several threads and can't find a definitave answer. I know on my lt1 I have the sealed beam halogens and I'd like to open them up and convert to a dual filament HID as on this thread for the camaro:

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761995

Is this possible with the Firebird stock bulbs/housings as we have hi/low dual single light? If so is the procedure the same and what Silverstar HID bulb should I go with for the replacement that will plug right into the stock harness. Just looking to get a little more lumens out of my lights at night. If this isn't practical are the H4666ST (halogen Silverstar) replacement lamps any better or worth it?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Short answer: its a bad idea to put HID in a Halogen reflector especially a dual filament housing since the HID arc is usually in the wrong place for either the low beam or high beam position creating a bad beam pattern. Also, if you get a single-xenon kit, you lose high beam, but since the HID arc is in the wrong place, it will be like you have permanent high beams anyway glaring other drivers. The alternative is that there are a few different kit designs that sorta provided hi/lo bi-xenon functionality by having a HID capsule that moves in the housing depending on low beam or high beam operation. This gets the HID arc closer to the right place but I haven't seen one yet that produced a decent beam pattern.

Sorry, but bi-xenon projectors are your best option.

Check out the Lighting FAQ and HID Planet for more info.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
Short answer: its a bad idea to put HID in a Halogen reflector especially a dual filament housing since the HID arc is usually in the wrong place for either the low beam or high beam position creating a bad beam pattern. Also, if you get a single-xenon kit, you lose high beam, but since the HID arc is in the wrong place, it will be like you have permanent high beams anyway glaring other drivers. The alternative is that there are a few different kit designs that sorta provided hi/lo bi-xenon functionality by having a HID capsule that moves in the housing depending on low beam or high beam operation. This gets the HID arc closer to the right place but I haven't seen one yet that produced a decent beam pattern.

Sorry, but bi-xenon projectors are your best option.

Check out the Lighting FAQ and HID Planet for more info.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
Thanks man, well it looks like on the LT1 birds it's not as easy as the camaro due to the dual filament halogen design. Do you think going with the LMC housing and just updating to a Halogen replacement bulb like the silverstar would be a better improvement as the housing will help with light projection and the bulb is much better esp the silverstar? Let me know.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Thanks man, well it looks like on the LT1 birds it's not as easy as the camaro due to the dual filament halogen design. Do you think going with the LMC housing and just updating to a Halogen replacement bulb like the silverstar would be a better improvement as the housing will help with light projection and the bulb is much better esp the silverstar? Let me know.
I built some Bi Xenon for my 97 but never finished because other projects came up. I did get some Hella glass housings to replace the sealed beams,added the H4 capsule which you can get at higher watts and also added FF50s as driving lights where fogs should be. Very happy with results. Someday Ill finish the Bi Xenons.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by toplessHO
I built some Bi Xenon for my 97 but never finished because other projects came up. I did get some Hella glass housings to replace the sealed beams,added the H4 capsule which you can get at higher watts and also added FF50s as driving lights where fogs should be. Very happy with results. Someday Ill finish the Bi Xenons.
Thanks Topless, where did you get the hellas, and what H4 did you go with? If you go higher then the stock 45-50/65 watt rating on the halogen do you need to add a upgraded harness with a relay to draw from the battery to prevent melting of the harness? Looking at the LMC housings as they look to be really good quality, also wanna try and match the fogs with the H4 bulb, do you think the 880ST will look good?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Hella relay system
I made some of the wiring using junkyard harnesses from other F bodys so it was all plug in and no spliced wires.
The housings are 165MM. I have the Hella capsules. With the FF50 driving lights aimed a little low I can see plenty good. I have those wired in for high beam plus driving lights.I have a relay system for those 2. (one for each light) If anything goes wrong I can always limp home with at least one eye.Yes I tapped in right at the battery and fused it too.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a true bi-xenon projector setup for the birds that is completely plug-and-play. Feel free to ask any questions if interested.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

As stated above, you can get aftermarket Bosch/Hella housings (I don't think LMC makes one in that size) that use a modern dual-filament bulb and you can use higher wattage bulbs, but if you do you should use a harness to handle the higher wattage.

BLS, thanks for stepping into this thread. I forgot about your bi-xenon setup for the early 4th gen.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

I don't have HID's, but I do have a better than stock setup.

What I did is use some Auto-Pal E-code headlight housings. The housings accept a H4 bulb. The difference between these, and something like the LMC truck housings is that the E-code lights have a cutoff line. The line isn't nearly as sharp as legit projectors, but it's far superior to the factory sealed beams. I used some Sylvania Xtravision bulbs, and picked up some H4 pigtails from the auto parts store.

The lights aren't nearly as bright as projectors and HID's, but it's much better than the factory lights, and it was very budget friendly.

Here is a link to the Auto-Pal lights:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/165mm...Q5fAccessories

Here is a pic of the cutoff line. Keep in mind, the picture is taken with a cell phone, so the light appears to be brighter, and whiter, but it gives you an idea of whats going on:

You can probably pop some HID's in the housings with decent results, but these do alright for me at the moment.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
We have a true bi-xenon projector setup for the birds that is completely plug-and-play. Feel free to ask any questions if interested.

Blackbird I love your setup, just don't have that much extra cash laying around for it. The wife would kill me if I dropped $400-500 on headlights for a car that is driven maybe 2-300 miles a year - LOL. Love it tho.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
I don't have HID's, but I do have a better than stock setup.

What I did is use some Auto-Pal E-code headlight housings. The housings accept a H4 bulb. The difference between these, and something like the LMC truck housings is that the E-code lights have a cutoff line. The line isn't nearly as sharp as legit projectors, but it's far superior to the factory sealed beams. I used some Sylvania Xtravision bulbs, and picked up some H4 pigtails from the auto parts store.

The lights aren't nearly as bright as projectors and HID's, but it's much better than the factory lights, and it was very budget friendly.

Here is a link to the Auto-Pal lights:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/165mm...Q5fAccessories

Here is a pic of the cutoff line. Keep in mind, the picture is taken with a cell phone, so the light appears to be brighter, and whiter, but it gives you an idea of whats going on:

You can probably pop some HID's in the housings with decent results, but these do alright for me at the moment.
Tbird, that is an excellent idea and I think I'm gonna go this route. What bulb did you use - brightness? Also, for the pigtale did you need to upgrade your harness with a relay to prevent melting it if you uped the wattage?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

I used the Sylvania Xtravision bulbs. They are stock wattage if I remember correctly, but they put out a brighter, whiter light. The pigtails I used are just cheap little stock replacement ones from the auto part store. They weren't used as upgrades, but to convert the harness to the H4 style plug. Our cars use an oddball plug for the stock H4666 bulbs.

To be honest, this setup was mostly temporary. I have been planning on making my owned headlight harness, using relays and thicker gauge wiring, I just never got to it.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright guys, I broke down and contacted EuroLamps and here is what they sent me:

Hi Dave,

Dave, we offer the complete kit with plug-in wire harness included...see below.

Your factory lighting uses sealed beam headlamps...We have Sealed Beam
Conversion(SBC)tm kits which will replace your sealed beams with new
headlight housings which will allow you to use replacement H4 bulbs...this is a great upgrade for your lighting.

Our housings feature all glass lenses with european beam patterns for
maximum performance!

**Very Easy Direct Replacement install.**

EuroLights/SBC(tm)Replacement Housings Type4666 $79.00 per pair
(complete kit) including your choice:

2x TypeH4-Blue/Gold SuperBright Ion
2x TypeH4-Yellow SuperBright Ion
2x TypeH4 -Xenon-Charged Blue/White

Free Shipping to USA and Canada!++ Limited time offer.

All models above are direct replacements for your factory bulbs...easy
install.

I figure this is not bad as I get the housing, wiring and H4 bulb upgrades for $80 and it will be a good improvement over my existing sealed housing. A temporairy upgrade until the price of HID/Projector kits comes down as $650 is a little steep right now.
Attached Thumbnails Firebird LT1 HID?-4666picsmall.jpg  
Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Launching!

im going with the same setup too on my 94 formula .either autopal or hella
euro spec housings with super bright blue h4 xenon bulbs . im running
silverstars right now and im not impressed with them.its time to upgrade .
Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

@ Blackbird I have a LT1 bird with Co-Way 8000K's in my fog lights. I have a kit, by the same company for my headlights, but they use the Hella housings with no cut-off, or projector set-up. I don't have these installed (mainly because i can't find a stealth place to hide the ballasts) Does the kit you sell compare to the temperature (color) of the kit i have in my fogs. For such a high temp - they really aren't that blue. I didn't want a rice-blue. Just something that looked like a BMW or something.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

EuroLights/SBC(tm)Replacement Housings Type4666 $79.00 per pair
(complete kit) including your choice:

2x TypeH4-Blue/Gold SuperBright Ion
2x TypeH4-Yellow SuperBright Ion
2x TypeH4 -Xenon-Charged Blue/White
What else would you need to make this kit complete? I need new headlights, these stockers are crap. And the nicer HID kits are way too much for me.

I also noticed that Speed Inc sells a direct bolt-in HID kit for our cars. How would theirs compare? Anyone have feedback on it?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spartan7
What else would you need to make this kit complete? I need new headlights, these stockers are crap. And the nicer HID kits are way too much for me.

I also noticed that Speed Inc sells a direct bolt-in HID kit for our cars. How would theirs compare? Anyone have feedback on it?
The kit in the email I listed above (you quoted) has everything you need as it plugs into your existing harness. All the searching I found this was the best deal and converted our sealed beams to H4 HIDs (replaceable bulbs). I'll be going this route once I have some Christmas cash - LOL.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The kit in the email I listed above (you quoted) has everything you need as it plugs into your existing harness. All the searching I found this was the best deal and converted our sealed beams to H4 HIDs (replaceable bulbs). I'll be going this route once I have some Christmas cash - LOL.
Sounds good. I might give that kit a try.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im definitely going the eurolamps route as well, the silverstars arent lasting me very long at all

Quick Reply: Firebird LT1 HID?