Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Theft of F-Bodies.... What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Theft of F-Bodies.... What to do?

Just wanted to start a thread to see what kind of suggestions id get on deterring theft of f- bodies. I'm rebuilding my 2002 WS6 and would die if someone stole it. I just have the stock alarm and there is alot of posts in new orleans about stolen f-bodies. please help.

what works good?
Do kill switches work?
lo jack?
new viper app on iphone?
any good product reviews?
the club?.... j/j not putting that on.

1st hand accounts please.

thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know how affective this is but I usually pull the fuses for the fuel pump and the starter if I park the car for a few hours where I can't keep an eye on it.

Kill switches are affective if you wire them in a sequence only you know. So when you hit the switches in a pattern it would activate the vitals like the fuel pump and the starter.

Alarms honestly are useless you yourself hear it and run to the car.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:46 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What's wrong with the club? The best car theif in the world would still have to cut the steering wheel or pick/break the lock to get it off and that's precious seconds they don't want to waste. I'm not saying that the club will be the ultimate defense but in concert with some of the aforementioned methods it couldn't hurt your chances.

Ultimately, if they want it nothing short of God is going to stop them; this is why I hate Gone in 60 seconds. F**k that movie...
Old 11-11-2010, 03:54 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyws6
Just wanted to start a thread to see what kind of suggestions id get on deterring theft of f- bodies. I'm rebuilding my 2002 WS6 and would die if someone stole it. I just have the stock alarm and there is alot of posts in new orleans about stolen f-bodies. please help.

what works good?
Do kill switches work?
lo jack?
new viper app on iphone?
any good product reviews?
the club?.... j/j not putting that on.

1st hand accounts please.

thanks
Park your car behind another car. Alot of them use a flat bed truck or tow truck to steal cars these days.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but theft of an entire car is very rare, much less a car that is 10 years old. if you had a maseratti, i'd probably tell you to be careful where you park, but still wouldn't insist you buy the best alarm system that money can buy, just because i'll repeat: theft of entire cars is rare.

f-bodies are barely worth over 10 grand these days, a thief would be better off stealing the five year old honda accord parked next to you in terms of value. i really don't think you have much to worry about. your theft concerns should be more along this line and in this order: 1. **** you left in your car, 2. stereo (if you have it), 3. rims. other than that, i would put money on your car being in your possession until the day you sell it.

pulling the fuel pump fuse?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Not if you live in the New Orleans area.Thefts are quite common, first hand experience. I had stock radio, nothing in the car, and the rims were torque thrust II's that had seen better days.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are GPS tracking devices on the market if you're losing that much sleep over it. Search the spy and gadget shops that you can google. Some battery powered and some can run off an external source (ie the car battery) and most you'll have to pay a monthly fee (however minimal) and some have iPhone apps for the ultimate car remote. I think the Viper alarm has an iPhone app and cellular connection so you wouldn't have to listen for your alarm at the back side of the Walmart parking lot while you're at the back of the store browsing the fabrics.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Teching In

thanx I'm going to go with a kill switch. My friend says he can link the kill switch to my keyless entry remote so ill let you know how that turns out. ill find out how to do it and post directions when it gets done.

happy vets dayhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:http://www.ls1tech.com/get/forums/im...gr_patriot.gif
Old 11-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A honda accord who would want 2 steal that TRASH? I don't wish car theft on anyone but 1 reason I can see Y ppl steal Fbodies is mostly for parts(Ram Air/SS hood,LS1 engine etc) keep N mind even though Fbodies R old the parts R still kinda expensive I had 2 put mine N a yard with an iron fence because ppl started "Slim Shady lurking" I live N new orleans & Fbodies R a "Hot Commodity among enthusiasts & thievez
Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

They will cut shift linkage of the car behind it and push it out of the way to get the f body thats blocked in. They are viscous in south LA
Old 11-11-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by teamfbody
A honda accord who would want 2 steal that TRASH? I don't wish car theft on anyone but 1 reason I can see Y ppl steal Fbodies is mostly for parts(Ram Air/SS hood,LS1 engine etc) keep N mind even though Fbodies R old the parts R still kinda expensive I had 2 put mine N a yard with an iron fence because ppl started "Slim Shady lurking" I live N new orleans & Fbodies R a "Hot Commodity among enthusiasts & thievez
i had a hard time deciphering what you said, but honda accords are actually the #1 most stolen car in america.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

It doesnt matter what you do,if they want it they will get it.just make sure you have plenty of insurance.i speak from experience.my ceta was never found and its been 3 years!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but theft of an entire car is very rare, much less a car that is 10 years old. if you had a maseratti, i'd probably tell you to be careful where you park, but still wouldn't insist you buy the best alarm system that money can buy, just because i'll repeat: theft of entire cars is rare.

f-bodies are barely worth over 10 grand these days, a thief would be better off stealing the five year old honda accord parked next to you in terms of value. i really don't think you have much to worry about. your theft concerns should be more along this line and in this order: 1. **** you left in your car, 2. stereo (if you have it), 3. rims. other than that, i would put money on your car being in your possession until the day you sell it.

pulling the fuel pump fuse?
you forget the fact that most cars that are stolen are not sold as a whole car....they take stolen cars apart into easily-transported & easily-hidden pieces, then sell those pieces individually and make a killing on them. $0 put into it (aside from whatever time/gas money it takes) = almost 100% profit on any money they make off of those parts.

the fact that these cars are 10+ years old only helps them, because these are mass-produced cars that tons of people still have, and they're starting to show their age....that means they need those replacement parts to keep it looking/working good.

i will agree, though, that the theft of the entire car is still far less common than stealing parts off them, like wheels & whatnot.....but in no way does that mean that if given the opportunity, the thieves won't take the entire car if they can.

thieves are opportunistic, they'll take whatever they think they can get away with, be it an f-body, corvette, or even that honda accord you were talking about.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Too bad there is so much plastic on these cars, otherwise I'd wire up the outside sheet metal to a high voltage source. Touch THAT
Old 11-11-2010, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

This is mainly in response to tuffluck's post: 930 cars were reported stolen in Chicago through the first 10 months of the year. The vast majority is the Accord/Camry type car, with a bunch of Civics/Integras/Evos thrown in because they're 1) easy to steal 2) quick to part out 3) aftermarket parts are $$. They get abandoned in alleys sitting on bricks, unrecognizeable.

I know people who have had their cars stolen via towing, as well as built Hondas that were towed sideways from driveways because they were intentionally blocked in. A friend recently had his Toyota Starlet stolen from his garage along with 4 sets of wheels (can you imagine going back and forth to carry out 16 freakin' wheels??).

My opinion is to do your due diligence (park in well lit areas when not garaged, don't show off your parts, hide your system, don't be followed home etc), cut-off switches to delay the theft, and throw full coverage on it if you're able and DEFINITELY if it's your DD.

This is coming from an owner of a car that consistently made insurance agencies' top rate of theft (very few were made) and I get followed home at least once a week. I'm beginning to regret not having a concealed weapon permit.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Teching In

here is the link to the remote kill switch i just found. if anyone does this let me know.

http://www.rotteneggsx.com/r3/show/se/53730.html
Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if things are that bad I would MOVE AWAY lol ...... or at least get a carry permit.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lojack has a special right now for $300
Old 11-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by toplessHO
lojack has a special right now for $300
do cops even look for cars with lojack? dont know how that works. i live in metairie(close to new orleans) the city of new orleans loves stealing anything especially f bodies but im not moving im too much of a saints fan lol
Old 11-13-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Too bad there is so much plastic on these cars, otherwise I'd wire up the outside sheet metal to a high voltage source. Touch THAT
Sure you can, hook it under the door handle. I don't know if this is an urban myth but someone hooked up his car in this way, found a thief dead next to the car. Car owner suffered consequences.

Originally Posted by Quick99Si

This is coming from an owner of a car that consistently made insurance agencies' top rate of theft (very few were made) and I get followed home at least once a week. I'm beginning to regret not having a concealed weapon permit.
You get followed because you hang out with the JDM/ import racing crowd and some of these guys wana steal parts from your car?

Quick Reply: Theft of F-Bodies.... What to do?