Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Monsoon Speaker Advice and Wiring Info

Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need Monsoon Speaker Advice and Wiring Info

Yes i have searched and searched and all i come up with is people saying to buy speakers from Kee Audio, but not answering the questions. Or they recommend speakers that are no longer made. I need speakers ASAP, and I have not been able to get a hold of Kee Audio for the past week.

I want to replace all my stock blown speakers with something better and reuse my stock head unit, amp, and wire harness. I have read the stickie and this is a camaro so the door speakers need to wire the tweeter separately even though it is coaxial, but i have not been able to find a speaker to work for this. So does anyone know a good sounding speaker that will work? All the ones I have seen have one connection then it filters out the highs for the tweeter. (I am assuming this is how they work)

I have been looking at the Pioneer TS-A1782R for door speaker replacement, but do not know if it will work based on how it needs to be wired up on the camaro, as i want to re-use the factory wiring and don't want to install a separate tweeter in the door panel.

As far as the rest of the speakers go, I assume the selection isn't as critical as the sail panels only receive bass. Thus no matter what speaker you get it will only play bass, correct? This way i can just get a speaker that handles bass well and wire it up. Same with the rear speakers correct? I was thinking i would put a set of 5x7 in the hatch as i mocked them up and should fit nicely in the panel but deliver more sound than a 4 inch speaker.

So does anyone have exact speaker part numbers that work great in the doors, sails, and the rear hatch? Also what is the difference between a 2,3,4 way speaker? all that confuses me, thus why i'm looking for exact speakers that i can get and install that will sound better than stock as everyone says is possible.

All input and recommendations are appreciated.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

As you've already seen... talk to Kee Audio about his speaker packages designed specifically to fit f-bodies. There's a very good reason that you keep seeing that advice - Ian has put together a package that sounds much better than stock, doesn't require speaker modification to install, and is reasonably priced. If you're having difficulty reaching him here, try his website (www.keeaudio.com) - his email and phone number are listed there.

Originally Posted by gpr
I want to replace all my stock blown speakers with something better and reuse my stock head unit, amp, and wire harness. I have read the stickie and this is a camaro so the door speakers need to wire the tweeter separately even though it is coaxial, but i have not been able to find a speaker to work for this. So does anyone know a good sounding speaker that will work? All the ones I have seen have one connection then it filters out the highs for the tweeter. (I am assuming this is how they work)
To clarify, Camaro door speakers are not coaxial. They are components (separate woofer and tweeter) that just happen to have the tweeter mounted in the center so that they look like a coaxial speaker. There are very few companies that make speakers with that design - CDT is one of them and is the one that Kee Audio sells.

You won't notice much improvement in sound quality as long as you keep the stock head unit. That distortion machine is the single biggest problem with the Monsoon system.

Originally Posted by gpr
As far as the rest of the speakers go, I assume the selection isn't as critical as the sail panels only receive bass. Thus no matter what speaker you get it will only play bass, correct? This way i can just get a speaker that handles bass well and wire it up.
Yes and no. Yes, the sail panel subs receive only a low frequency (bass) signal from the amp so no matter what speaker you connect it will only play bass frequencies. No, the selection isn't as easy as one would think. You need a sub (or at least a mid-bass speaker) because most full range speakers (especially coaxials) don't handle bass as well. You also have the problem of the odd 2-ohm impedance of Camaro sail panel subs. You can put 4-ohm speakers there but you give up half of your available power (about 3dB) which is something most people don't want to do with subs because they like the bass punch. There are a few companies that make dual voice coil 6.5" subs that will produce 2-ohm total impedance when wired in parallel. Bazooka, Audiopipe, Audiodrift, and elemental Designs are four of them. The first three are carried by Kee and the last is available from the manufacturer's website. You want the 4-ohm+4-ohm DVC 6.5" subs.

Originally Posted by gpr
Same with the rear speakers correct? I was thinking i would put a set of 5x7 in the hatch as i mocked them up and should fit nicely in the panel but deliver more sound than a 4 inch speaker.
There is no reason to upgrade the hatch area speakers at all, let alone put larger speakers there. Those speakers are for rear fill only and should not be a primary sound source. The factory 4" full range speakers are quite sufficient. If they are damaged then just about any replacement 4" speaker will do the job equally well.

Originally Posted by gpr
Also what is the difference between a 2,3,4 way speaker? all that confuses me, thus why i'm looking for exact speakers that i can get and install that will sound better than stock as everyone says is possible.
A 2-way speaker is a coaxial. It has a tweeter mounted in the center of a mid-range speaker. The input signal is internally filtered from the single pair of wiring terminals to prevent the tweeter from receiving low frequency signal it can't handle. 3-way and 4-way speakers extend the concept to multiple speaker elements for specific frequencies. For the most part, anything more than coaxial (2-way) is crap. It's like multi-blade razors... just how many blades does one need?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:04 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I appreciate the help. I have tried contacting Kee Audio. I pm'd him, then emailed him. I have also called multiple times. Only thing I heard back is an email saying his main job is very busy and hasn't had time to do the audio thing. I understand, but i need some speakers so i can put my car back together. Since i can't get a hold of him i need to piece together a kit myself it looks like.

Do you know of any component speakers with the tweeter center mounted other than CDT? Seems as if their speakers are hard to find, and when you do they are expensive.

I was also wondering if you can convert a coaxial speaker into a component? Some of the coaxial speakers have loose wires running threw the cone and into the tweeter. Could you cut those and wire them directly to the factory plug-in off the stock speaker? This way the tweeter will still only be wired to the stock harness and go directly to the head unit. Would that work???? Then i could wire the main woofer up like normal with the other two wires off the stock speaker.. Is just a wild and crazy thought.

For the sail panels speakers, how would you wire them in parallel? Also do you or anyone else have any recommendations on what speaker to use for this? I have heard a lot of people use bazooka and like them, but which ones do they use? I haven't really found any part or model numbers for the speakers they used.

I understand the hatch speakers don't do much but the stock ones really suck, and i already have the 5x7 speakers so i figured i would wire them up anyway. these should work right? they are just regular coaxial speakers i assume i can reuse the stock speakers wires and plug right into factory.

thanks again for all the help!!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
Do you know of any component speakers with the tweeter center mounted other than CDT? Seems as if their speakers are hard to find, and when you do they are expensive.
I am not familiar with any coaxially mounted speakers for the doors other than OEM and CDT. I have heard that there is another manufacturer making them but I don't have any details.

EDIT: I found that JL Audio makes "convertible" component speakers (the tweeter can be mounted separately or inside the woofer like a coaxial). Unfortunately, they're just as expensive as the CDTs - about $300 a pair.

Originally Posted by gpr
I was also wondering if you can convert a coaxial speaker into a component? Some of the coaxial speakers have loose wires running threw the cone and into the tweeter. Could you cut those and wire them directly to the factory plug-in off the stock speaker? This way the tweeter will still only be wired to the stock harness and go directly to the head unit. Would that work???? Then i could wire the main woofer up like normal with the other two wires off the stock speaker.. Is just a wild and crazy thought.
Not so wild and crazy. We have had a number of members do exactly that with coaxial speakers. Some brands/models lend themselves to the modification better than others (easily accessible tweeter wires). It works quite well as long as you make sure you have solid connections.

Originally Posted by gpr
For the sail panels speakers, how would you wire them in parallel? Also do you or anyone else have any recommendations on what speaker to use for this? I have heard a lot of people use bazooka and like them, but which ones do they use? I haven't really found any part or model numbers for the speakers they used.
DVC (dual voice coil) speakers have two sets of terminals - one pair for each of the speaker's voice coils. You wire in parallel by connecting the two positive terminals together and the two negative terminals together then running a single pair of wires off one of the terminal sets. This cuts the total impedance in half so if you start with a 4-ohm DVC speaker (two 4-ohm voice coils) you end up with the equivalent of a single voice coil at 2-ohms that matches the Camaro factory setup.

Originally Posted by gpr
I understand the hatch speakers don't do much but the stock ones really suck, and i already have the 5x7 speakers so i figured i would wire them up anyway. these should work right? they are just regular coaxial speakers i assume i can reuse the stock speakers wires and plug right into factory.

thanks again for all the help!!!!
Yes, you can use those speakers in the hatch area. In a Camaro, the existing speakers there get full-range signal so the coaxials will get all the signal they need. You may have to play with the fader to keep the system from sounding like a '70s 8-track where the speakers were mounted in the rear parcel shelf. The hatch design of our cars tends to focus sound coming from the rear which is why they only used 4" speakers back there.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 11-16-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:59 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

WhiteBird,

thank you very much for all of the info. This really helped me a lot and I appreciate it greatly. Searched around a bit and found some speakers that should work perfect because of your advice.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what speakers did you end up going with? I'm considering doing an upgrade from the speaker standpoint as well
Old 11-17-2010, 05:11 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I ended up finding the Bazooka speakers for the sail panels. They are Bazooka #WF641.5DV and are the 4ohm woofers, and are DVC so you can wire them in parallel like whitebird explained for the camaro's. I bought them directly from Bazooka as i couldn't find them anywhere else. Also if you have a firebird bazooka also makes a single voice coil speaker in 6.5" 4ohm.

The door speakers I looked around for a bit but finally found a place that sold the CDT CL-61CV speakers that are component speakers with tweeter mounted in center. Decided to go with them instead of making a coaxial speaker into a component. Got them from Thunder Audio Video for $139, and i think the bazooka's were $104. If i did it again i would get the sail panel speakers from Thunder Audio also, nice guy and great prices.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gpr
I ended up finding the Bazooka speakers for the sail panels. They are Bazooka #WF641.5DV and are the 4ohm woofers, and are DVC so you can wire them in parallel like whitebird explained for the camaro's. I bought them directly from Bazooka as i couldn't find them anywhere else. Also if you have a firebird bazooka also makes a single voice coil speaker in 6.5" 4ohm.

The door speakers I looked around for a bit but finally found a place that sold the CDT CL-61CV speakers that are component speakers with tweeter mounted in center. Decided to go with them instead of making a coaxial speaker into a component. Got them from Thunder Audio Video for $139, and i think the bazooka's were $104. If i did it again i would get the sail panel speakers from Thunder Audio also, nice guy and great prices.
Kee audio sell's the bazooka's as well as another sponsor on here, surprised you didn't come across that, so many threads about the bazooka's

And trans am's use the dual voice coil sail's, they are DVC 4-ohm from factory, camaro's are the ones that come SVC.

Kee audio sells plenty of CDT speakers as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Monsoon Speaker Advice and Wiring Info