Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alpine CDE-102, also cd player portion question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Alpine CDE-102, also cd player portion question.

Alright, disregard my Pioneer thread.

So I picked up an Alpine CDE-102 instead, I got it for $45. Why so cheap? The CD player doesn't work. It has the USB input on the front, so I will just use a thumb drive for tunes.

My question though, what would cause a CD player that is less than two years old stop working, from a company that typically releases good hardware? I got the deck cheap enough, but just in case I did want to play a CD someday I suppose I'm curious.

I definitely like its looks over the Pioneer I was considering. It was hard for me to find a deck to replace my Aiwa, hell I'm going to miss how my Aiwa looks at night, but it is really lacking on features.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

This is what is behind the Aiwa now. Do I want to wire the Alpine into this, is that there to make the factory Bose stuff work, or can I take that all out and wire this differently? I only have the two door speakers and the Bose in the hatch. Any input would be awesome, want to install the Alpine today!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Anybody? No one on ls1tech replaced the stock head unit but kept the factory bose speakers? I'd like to know! Do I have to keep that or not? Would it be better if I kept it or would things work better if it were gone? Confused.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that same head unit, no problems with it though.

What exactly doesn't work with the CD player? Does it not read discs? Or does it not take discs in?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

I have no idea, the prior owner just said it stopped working. I don't know yet because I didn't install it yet. Curious as to if I need that box or not for the Bose rear speaker/sub thing to keep working or not.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Curious as to if I need that box or not for the Bose rear speaker/sub thing to keep working or not."
Idk if this will help or not but My car had that too scosche thing, i hooked it up and none of the speakers worked.Then I got told if I run new wire and get a little amp for the speaker it would work,so I did that and now it all works perfect.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The adapter is basically a fancy line out converter (LOC). It takes the speaker level output of an aftermarket head unit and steps it down to the line level signal that is required by the Bose amplifiers (there is a separate amp attached to each speaker).

Yes, you need it.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Thank You WhiteBird, I will swap the wires one for one then when installing the Alpine.

I had no idea each of the three speakers had its own amp. I'm still hoping to one day get rid of the stock speakers and just put a speaker in each sail panel. One of those reasons is due to me eyeballing those awesome carbon fiber door panels.

That brings up a question not related to the deck itself, if someday I just have two speakers in the sail panels and I do a lot of windows down cruising, will I be able to hear them?

Another question without starting another thread, is there a short antenna that is a bolt on for a 94 Z28?

Well I'll see what day I get this head unit installed to see what it tells me in regards to the cd portion. The guy didn't say if it just says error, or doesn't eject discs or what. For $45 though and the USB port I figured it wasn't a bad deal. This weekend I'll be in the process of doing the 24x conversion so I can run a LS1 PCM, so the radio might not see any install action til next week.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Snagged a 8 GB flash drive made by Lexar today for $17.xx. So not bad at all there I didn't think. Probably can easily hold all my music I currently have plus more. Should be plenty of space for the 2,000+ miles round trip!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

So I finally tried out the 8 GB lexar thumb drive today. Unit said searching and then it displayed unit error. I remove the stick tells me no device, plug the drive back in, searching, unit error.

Anyone have this deck? Have problems with certain brands of thumb drives?

Edit: So I opened the owners manual online, seems that error means the USB device isn't supported. Is there a list somewhere of thumb drives that are known to work or can I format it to work or something???

Manual says it supports FAT 12/16/32. Checked file system on thumb drive, FAT 32.

Last edited by camar0corey; 11-30-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

The stick has too much memory. The largest I have used is 4gig but generally just a 2gig. 8gig is too large for it to read. There is a limit to how much they can handle. FAT 32 is the correct format, that's not the problem.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Disappointing! I suppose the hunt is on for a 4 GB then. This deck manufacture date is just May 09, 8 GB being too large is just unacceptable, come on Alpine! If there is a size limit they should specify that in their manual.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

So with a 4GB card it recognizes and claims it is playing the files. Problem is there is no sound! For some reason I can hear a "click" whenever I change sources? Tuner plays FM radio fine, but when I change off tuner I can hear it click again, I don't have any sound while trying to play MP3s off the USB drive. I did go into sound setup and tell it CDDA/MP3 instead of CD-DA whether or not that makes a difference. Mute set to off.

I'm really at a loss here.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Anybody have any ideas? I have a long drive ahead of me at the end of the week, I'd rather not have to keep changing radio stations and having to listen to random crap.

Quick Reply: Alpine CDE-102, also cd player portion question.