Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

using the stock amp

Old 11-27-2010, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using the stock amp

yes i have looked for instructions to do this but i havent found what i need... i was wondering if anyone knew how i can tell what wire from the stock amp goes to each stock speaker. i want to use a aftermarket stereo but being that im a noob i completely messed up the wiring for the HU. well i guess that i should ask if theres anyway to tap into the stock amp with a aftermarket HU without using the stock connectors. also ive seen that i can use the steering wheel buttons if i have a HU with a infrared remote control, so what exactly would i know if it does or not. im noob so i wanna learn how to do all of this so if any can help ill appreciate it.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The wire colors for the Monsoon amp connector are listed in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section but you don't need them. Get yourself the proper harness adapter (available at any auto parts store or even WalMart) and connect it color for color to the new head unit (i.e. red to red, yellow to yellow, etc.). Then the whole thing just plugs into the factory connector. The aftermarket head unit will work just fine with the rest of the Monsoon system so there is no reason to bypass the amp.

Steering wheel controls using an infrared adapter are so last year. These days almost all head units come with a wired steering wheel control connection. Get the adapter that matches the brand of stereo (SWI-PS for Pioneer and Sony, SWI-JACK for JVC, Alpine, Clarion, and Kenwood, etc.) and it will connect directly to the head unit harness without the need for an IR remote.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the sticky alot of good info in there. i really didnt need anything more than the sticky. or you can simply rewire everything, but you can not get you small stock woofers to work. good luck.

Search this Thread