Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon options

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Monsoon options

Okay, I’m thoroughly confused at this point despite reading the entire Monsoon section plus searching and reading various threads. Here’s the deal. I did the cheap aux in solution for my Monsoon, which worked fine, but the CD player is starting to go so I’m looking at other options. I went to a local sound shop and BB and they both wanted to rip out my Monsoon system and replace it (approx. $600 including install) or gave me the option of using the iSimple connector ($150) if all I wanted to do was have a good aux in solution. Both said there was no way to use a aftermarket HU without replacing the entire system, both said there were no drop in speakers that would work and coaxial speakers (for a blown front door speaker) wouldn’t work with the Monsoon. Frankly, from what I’ve read, I think both don’t know exactly what they’re talking about. I also called a famous online radio retailer and they said all I really needed was an inexpensive connector and basically any HU would work with the Monsoon speakers/amp.

So from what I’ve read, here are my options:

1. Get a 2000 stock Monsoon HU off eBay (or a forum member), find a stock replacement door speaker and get something like the PA-GM11 – total cost = approx. $200 if I’m patient and shop carefully.

2. Get an aftermarket HU, buy the special connector and appropriate mounting hardware, and buy a set of aftermarket component speakers for the front doors = approx. $250 (I actually have a cheap HU with Aux In laying around so this could be a temporary solution until I have more $$$$ for a good HU)

Which do you think would be best and/or cheapest?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can tell you've gotten quite a bit of bad information. The Monsoon system is nothing special and requires no extra work to replace the headunit or speakers.

I'll tell you right now DO NOT spend $150 on some harness that allows you to play an iPod through the stock HU. For $150 you can get a NICE aftermarket deck that is miles ahead of the factory deck.

Also, DO NOT allow a shop to screw you out of $600 to replace the whole system. If all you need is a HU and door speakers you shouldn't even have to spend half that.

I would advise against putting stock speakers in your car to replace blown ones. They are absolutely horrible speakers. Honestly, it's not worth the work of taking the door panels off just to put such utter garbage in your car.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Latch
I can tell you've gotten quite a bit of bad information. The Monsoon system is nothing special and requires no extra work to replace the headunit or speakers.

I'll tell you right now DO NOT spend $150 on some harness that allows you to play an iPod through the stock HU. For $150 you can get a NICE aftermarket deck that is miles ahead of the factory deck.

Also, DO NOT allow a shop to screw you out of $600 to replace the whole system. If all you need is a HU and door speakers you shouldn't even have to spend half that.

I would advise against putting stock speakers in your car to replace blown ones. They are absolutely horrible speakers. Honestly, it's not worth the work of taking the door panels off just to put such utter garbage in your car.
Yep, I couldn't/didn't believe the stuff the folks at both stores were saying. I had done some research before I went but I didn't expect the amount of BS I got.

I really wanted to keep the stock HU, but as I said the CD player is sticking, it's a pre-2000 model and I also came to the conclusion that a HU that plays ripped CDs would be a good idea for the times when I forget my iPod or Sirius.

What I'm thinking about doing is getting a $100 HU and doing the coaxial speaker mod I read about in a thread. I'm pretty decent with a soldering iron so it should work. Now if I find a Monsoon unit for a good price, in good shape/guaranteed, I may still go that route. Unfortunately it started snowing today so there's not as much of a rush to get it done.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so replacing the head unit is not a prob .. Isint there 6 channels in a monsoon sys?? How would you hook a 4 channel deck to a 6 channel sys.. If you can still use the factory amp this shouldn't be a problem.. I'm nok thinkin you can tho.. Can you?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is more than 4 channels, however the others are used for low pass only. It has the standard 4 channel RF LF RR LR. The others are low pass. The HU feeds the amp in the back through a standard GM harness. The amp distributes from there. Make sense? The monsoon system isn't great, but it isn't that bad. The HU is the worst part of the system because of the distortion it sends to the amp. The amp actually produces a nice clean signal. Get you a nice HU of your choice and skip the speakers for now.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Sweet so I'll just get me some nice 6/9s .. I already got a head unit from a previous car. Thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 06:06 AM
TECH Resident

That's what I did - just went and got a good HU. One of my front speakers was blown so I replaced it but still the sound wasn't that great. And as mentioned above, even though I did the Aux In mod, the stock radio lacks a lot of the modern features I like, for example, USB, ability to play certain recorded CDs., title display, blah, blah, blah. I should be installing it today and I'm going to replace the stock speaker a pair at a time in the future.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ta420nk
Sweet so I'll just get me some nice 6/9s .. I already got a head unit from a previous car. Thanks
6x9 speakers? First, where will you put them? There are no 6x9 openings in the car. Second, why would you want to? Round speakers always produce better sound than equivalent oval speakers.

But if you insist on using 6x9 speakers, I think I have an 8-track player in the attic that would go with them nicely.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

I didn't mesure but I think that 6/9s will fit in the openings for those little shitty 4 in speakers in the back.. By where the "trunk" is.. Yeah I'll have to cut some plastic but in my opion 6/9s are the best choice for rearmost speakers
Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ta420nk
I didn't mesure but I think that 6/9s will fit in the openings for those little shitty 4 in speakers in the back.. By where the "trunk" is.. Yeah I'll have to cut some plastic but in my opion 6/9s are the best choice for rearmost speakers
Actually, "none" is a better choice for hatch speakers. There is a reason that they're so small from the factory - they're there only for rear fill and should not even be noticeable under normal circumstances. You don't want a lot of sound coming from behind you unless you really like the old 70s concept of having speakers only on the rear parcel shelf. Some people go as far as saying there should be nothing behind you except a sub. I don't agree with that... I like "surround" sound but the idea is to make it seem like you have earphones on - the balance/fader settings make the sound seem to be inside your head. You don't want a major source of sound to be obviously behind you.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got a stock oem monsoon headunit and 12 disk changer if your interested. Let me know.