Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Worth upgrading from Alpine Type-R to Type-X for my 10"???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 02:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Worth upgrading from Alpine Type-R to Type-X for my 10"???

Let me first off give you a quick overview of the car. I am in the process of sound deadening even the windows to give you an idea of the lengths I am going. I'm trying to create a vault from outside noise and am in it about $600 now.

My components are CDT's high end and the power is coming from a pair of beautiful and quite powerful Cadence amplifiers. No mid fill.

I currently have the alpine Type-R in the Stealthbox. However, the Cadence is capable of pushing a little more power than the R can handle.

Anywho...
I am now looking at the Alpine Type-X as a replacement for the Type-R. Any thoughts? I would prefer to just leave well enough alone unless the sound difference is completely out of this world amazing.

To make it easier-

Type R - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Type X

Pulp/fiber cone reinforced with Kevlar- - - - - Same
Santoprene rubber surround- - - - - - - - - - Same
Cast aluminum frame - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Same
Power range: 50-500 watts RMS - - - - - - - 500-1,000 watts RMS
Frequency response:26-500 Hz - - - - - - - - 26-200 Hz
Sensitivity: 85 dB- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 82 dB
Old 12-05-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO stick with the R, unless you can supply the X with 1k watts rms.

IMO, if you haven't put 1 lb. of polyfill per cu.ft. of air space in your stealth box then do it. That will make a slight improvement.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-05-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not gaining that much by going with the Type-X. Actually your limiting your usable frequency range by going to a Type-X. I personally wouldn't bother because you have a slightly broader frequency range with the R.
What are you trying to accomplish by going to the Type-X, just more output? Just curious. The Type-X will put out more bass but the Type-R does pretty well also.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the affirmation that it is in fact overboard. The fill is there, but that is good advice, so thanks again there. I can supply the 1k RMS, but the system is built for quality, not pure output. I have deadened the hell out of it to hear clear clarinet, violin, or trumpet highs, so in retrospect, it was a pretty stupid question, but thank you for not pointing that out!

Kee-
Thanks for the reality check. I honestly can't say what I was trying to accomplish. I guess it is one of those, "hey, look how cool that is. I probably need it" moments.

Thanks again, guys. I'll stick with what I got.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounded to me like you were going for an nice SQ system. It also sounds like you have accomplished that for the most part.
I have had several of those moments where I just upgraded stuff and gained nothing. Especially when it comes to subs. I used to go bigger every year because of the wow factor. LOL!!