Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is iTunes CD quality?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Default Is iTunes CD quality?

I know little to know nothing about audio stuff.

I have downloaded music in the past from.....other sources...and the quality has not that been that great especially through the PS3.

What is CD quality and what should I look for in the way songs are recorded?

Thanks.

Jason
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In short, MP3 is no where near CD quality and the lower bit rate, the lower the quality of sound. My understand is that in car, 128/192 kbps is okay since a car by nature is a poor environment for music. At a minimum you should probably record/download music at 192kbps, although most/many people use 128kbps.

Do a Google search on music bit rates, kbps, music compression and CD quality - it's way too complicated for me to try to explain.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm no audiofile, but I Tunes music sounds pretty damn good to me. Can't tell the difference in the car, but I have a good setup at home and the I Tunes sounds really good.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

any MP3 suks to my golden ears
Old 12-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Even an average user can here compression artifacts in a 128K encoded MP3 file if they listen carefully. They are generally disguised by the noisy environment in a car but you will notice a lack of depth in the bass portions and a lack of clarity in high frequencies.

192K is a good compromise bit rate that retains the majority of the original music information while still providing enough compression to save significant storage space. This is considered "near CD quality" and should be sufficient for use in a car or with earbuds.

256K is good enough that most people can't distinguish the MP3 from the original source. This is generally labeled "CD quality" although it is still possible to hear the occasional difference from the original source.

The highest bit rate in the MP3 standard is 320K. Anyone who claims they can tell the difference between a 320K MP3 and the original source anywhere other than a music studio is just fooling themselves. There are small losses from the compression that can be seen on an oscilloscope but the compression algorithm is designed to make them inaudible to the human ear.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some home receivers and mobile audio HUs have DSP capabilities that "enhance", or try smooth over the effects of compressed formats. I have found some of these, while not perfect, to have an improving effect. I generally do not like any kind of DSP effects or manipulation on the sound output, but these "compression restorers" I actually have come to like. Here's the description of it on my Pioneer DEH-6200BT:

"Bring Your Music to Life with Advanced Sound Retriever
This year you can hear the detail, warmth, and clarity the way the artist intended it, from all of the highly compressed MP3, WMA and AAC files playing on your CD player. By restoring data that tends to get lost in the digital compression process, we can make your music sound close to CD quality. "
Old 12-11-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. It helps me out a bunch.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

No, mp3 is a lossy codec, meaning it is designed to lose information.

Use something like FLAC (free loss-less audio codec) if you want to keep cd quality.

However, itunes definately has some good equipment and people that know what they are doing so they generally sound about the best they can sound at those bitrates.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, MP3 is a lossy compression technique but it's more than that. The algorithm is designed to remove portions that people are unable to hear. The human ear is not digital or even linear in its ability to distinguish sounds so even though the losses can be seen on a 'scope, they can't be heard at higher bit rates. It's only when getting down to higher compression (lower bit rates) that the ear can distinguish between compressed and uncompressed sources.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only use VBR (variable bit rate), 320, or I use FLAC files that have been converted. My buddy has some really good software that he uses for conversion to MP3 from FLAC. He is able to remix certain aspects of the file as well to enhance things in the original that were lacking. For instance alot of 80's metal lacked midbass and depth. Sounded kind of thin. He enhances certain instruments and things to make it sound a bit more full. I have a pretty extensive music library.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Since we are talking about it, the common MP3 codec known as LAME had some guidelines/configuration made by hydrogenaudio that should be pretty decent. VBR 256-320 is probably the way to go
Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i am half deaf.......thanks air force.........but i can still tell the diff between a MP3 and a CD
Old 12-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned

My pops (audiophile) always told me my Ipod was a piece of crap and the sound quality was terrible lol. He even told me the sound quality from CD's even isn't that great. He says the best sound you will get is out of tapes.

Idk but all his tapes sounded 100x better than any CD/MP3 I've ever heard. He's got several ridiculous sound setups in the house. All he uses is older stuff from the 80's.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think everyone has a song or songs, that they really like for whatever reason. If it's because the song means something to you or you just want to beat the **** out of your system.

With the larger external usb drives I think you could get close to CD quality. For example, I would rather have 50 songs that are super good quality than 1000 songs that are....ehhh ok.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

i use VBR 320 for all my mp3s...lets just say if you heard my songs in my camaro or 4runner you would be blown away..im an engineer for a radio station...256 - 320 is def the way to go without a doubt..oh and yes itunes songs are cd quality if not better then...they're digital...same with napster
Old 12-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Digital doesn't necessarily equate to quality. CD discs, MP3 files, AAC files, AIFF files, even WAV files are all digital by definition but their sound quality can vary immensely.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hope I don't get banned for bumping my own thread.

For having a decent system in my car I can say "some" Itunes songs are CD quality and "some" ARENT!

Apparently 256k means different things to different people.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Digital doesn't necessarily equate to quality. CD discs, MP3 files, AAC files, AIFF files, even WAV files are all digital by definition but their sound quality can vary immensely.
Truth Truth.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use AAC if possible, not MP3. MP3 is literally a standard developed in the 1980s. Use 160Kbps or higher AAC - 224-256Kbps would be even better, though not necessary for a portable player. For MP3, try to stick to 192Kbps minimum with the higher quality VBR suggestions above being even better. Personally, I am a fan of Ogg Vorbis but it's unfortunately not supported on most consumer equipment - mostly just PCs and Android phones. There are some other devices here and there that support it as well as modified software/firmware (e.g. Rockbox) for some gadgets, but for the most part, AAC is the best bet for a non-crappy lossy audio codec.

P.S. CD quality is indeed not perfect but it is quite good, and a cassette tape WILL NOT match it. Analog can be okay, but tapes are not okay. Even with a brand new type III (metallic) tape, you aren't going to get the quality of a CD. And then there's the fact that they degrade over time, and that they are super annoying to use...
Old 08-17-2011, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

FLAC is essentially "CD quality". You need to download some codecs to play those files. They are also very large. FLAC is an acronym for "Free Lossless Audio Codec". More info on FLAC here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC

I have a small FLAC collection. I used to feel pretty comfortable blasting it through my house setup.

Most of my music is in 320kbps MP3... And having been the person ripping the music from CD to MP3, I'm apparently one of the few that can notice the difference between a 320kbps track and the same track played through the same equipment from a CD instead of a computer. The CD player used was a Denon DVD player, and the computer used was a PC with a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 with and without using the SoundBlaster equalizer software. All of this was connected to a large speaker array and blasted at well over 110dB for countless hours. To me, the compression artifacts were noticeable. Annoyingly so? Not really, but CDs seemed a tiny bit crisper, yet clearer. Not having any neighbors helped a lot.

I'm a very mild audiophile. If you don't know what that is or care about sound quality, then you're probably fine with some high-bitrate AAC or MP3 files.

Quick Reply: Is iTunes CD quality?