Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subthump or Kee Audio stealthbox for Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Subthump or Kee Audio stealthbox for Trans Am?

I've read some threads about fitment issues with Subthump on the Firebirds. Anyone order one recently to chime in?

I will be running a JL Audio 10w3v3. Just looking to see what experience people have had recently with either box and my sub combo. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got my subthump box but havent installed it yet. was gonna test fit today but had to replace the starter since mine pretty much broke in two. if i check it tomorrow, ill let u know
Old 03-15-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think you should be fine with both.

i have an mtx stealthbox and fits great. I wonder if kee still makes the passenger ones.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for pontiacs, I would recommend kee audio. I posted up awhile ago the issues I had with my subthump box. I was trying to return it, but he was adamant that the issue was with my car and that it must have been an accident (even though it never has) and did not let me return it. He finally let me send it back to him to trim the front piece. The fitment is ok, but definitely could be better.
I spoke with Kee audio in the meantime and found out that their box is designed from a pontiac while subthump used a camaro for the initial mold. The camaro cutout is alittle bit deeper than that of firebirds, hence the reason why I had fitment issues.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bobbyd
i think you should be fine with both.

i have an mtx stealthbox and fits great. I wonder if kee still makes the passenger ones.
I think he still advertises the passenger side box on his website.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Teching In

i put the subthump in my 94 trans am the other day and it fit. needed a little encouragement to get in there but i think it was due to the carpet gettin bunched up in there. anyways i got it in and had the plastic piece installed too
Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wrmathis
i put the subthump in my 94 trans am the other day and it fit. needed a little encouragement to get in there but i think it was due to the carpet gettin bunched up in there. anyways i got it in and had the plastic piece installed too
What holds it in there, if anything?
Old 03-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J-Train
What holds it in there, if anything?
Generally it just is pressure fit in there. Once you get it in it's a tight fit...wow that doesn't sound right...anyway, when you put the hatch plastic back over it they never move. I have slid the T/A around sideways a few times with that enclosure in there and it doesn't move.

As for my enclosure vs. Subthump. Both are great quality and do the job fine. Subthump is a different design and will accommodate a deeper sub then mine. Of course I also can modify mine to allow a larger sub as well which I have done a few times.
Both are quality and will make great bass in a compact space.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

^Hey Kee, would your stealthbox be a great match for a 10w3v3 sub?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Teching In

thats why i went with subthump. cuz it has a deeper design. and like Kee said. it doesnt move once u get it in there. and i had to persuade mine to get in there if u know what mean. just need to get the headunit i want in and i can install everything. cant wait to get rid of the stock speakers
Old 03-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Generally it just is pressure fit in there. Once you get it in it's a tight fit...wow that doesn't sound right...anyway, when you put the hatch plastic back over it they never move. I have slid the T/A around sideways a few times with that enclosure in there and it doesn't move.

As for my enclosure vs. Subthump. Both are great quality and do the job fine. Subthump is a different design and will accommodate a deeper sub then mine. Of course I also can modify mine to allow a larger sub as well which I have done a few times.
Both are quality and will make great bass in a compact space.
So for a L7, I would probaly need a subthump then huh?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by J-Train
So for a L7, I would probaly need a subthump then huh?
Yep. I do not have anything for an L7 currently....sorry! If there is anything else I can help you with just let me know!

As for a W3V3 JL subs my enclosure would be fine and work very well with that sub. It is similar to the CDT HD1000CF I use alot and have used the W3 a few times. Sounded great!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ian its kyle, any word on the fiberglass box yet?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stealth355tpi
Hey Ian its kyle, any word on the fiberglass box yet?
Hi Kyle,
I haven't done anything in fiberglass lately. I still have 2 shells though. You needed an L7 one correct?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea still need it, 10inch thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Default Help a NEWB

Kee! Im an Fbody Newb.. and a proud one at that, love my new (to me) TA. Anywayrs, the system the guy has in it when sold to me is stock monsoon and some nice kicker 12's, after alot of tuning I have it sounding descent enough, here is my issue as many others have discussed in the forum, tweeter placement, more importantly, leg block!! From all I can tell (like I said, newb) you are the trusted man with Fbody audio, and I love the look of your products, do you or anyone you know of have tweeter suggestions? A-pillar somewhere/6LE Pods? love the look of the pods but if $175 is not necessary... well... any help would be great guys! and correct me if Im wrong, tweeters are wired to the head unit, NOT the monsoon amp, so ive heard.... so I could replace with aftermarket no problem?

Quick Reply: Subthump or Kee Audio stealthbox for Trans Am?