Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Driver's side window fix w/o express down

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's side window fix w/o express down

Ok so I did the autotrix version of the window mod with only user related problems - fixed after a good night's sleep. Now my passenger window seems like its going to fly through and shatter my t-tops! excellent performance.

My driver's side window motor is now the slow poke. I want to do this mod to my driver's side, express-down elimination preferred (my e-down has not worked for the past year or so, and i'd rather not have it return). If I were to buy another passenger side module from autotrix, will I see a similar boost in my driver's side window performance like I saw on the pass side? Or is the fault within the module itself?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

bumpity! want to make my driver's side as fast as my autotrixed passenger side
Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The left window is wired differently because of the express down module. You'll have to bypass the module in order to do what you want. You can bypass the module by simply connecting the gray wire to the brown output wire at the express down module. Make sure you get the right brown wire - there are two of them. The one you want is pin D in the connector. The one you don't want is pin C in the connector and will have power whenever the ignition is on so it's easy to find with a test light or multimeter.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The left window is wired differently because of the express down module. You'll have to bypass the module in order to do what you want. You can bypass the module by simply connecting the gray wire to the brown output wire at the express down module. Make sure you get the right brown wire - there are two of them. The one you want is pin D in the connector. The one you don't want is pin C in the connector and will have power whenever the ignition is on so it's easy to find with a test light or multimeter.

So I bypass the express down module as you described and the autotrix kit for the passenger's side is plug n play on the driver's side?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I don't know about plug and play but once the express down module is bypassed, the left window wiring works essentially the same as the right side. The two motor wires are brown and dark blue just like on the right side. The dark blue wire at the left switch is still the same but the wire that would be brown at the right switch will now be gray at the left switch.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I don't know about plug and play but once the express down module is bypassed, the left window wiring works essentially the same as the right side. The two motor wires are brown and dark blue just like on the right side. The dark blue wire at the left switch is still the same but the wire that would be brown at the right switch will now be gray at the left switch.
Jumping in here as I have a similiar issue. mine is I dont have the EDM at all but am using the switches and wiring. when trying to use the grey wire to tie to the brown wire doesnt work on mine it sends a slight jolt but does not roll window down thus what was thought the grey wire should do. The passenger side is wired without a ground?? driver side has ground circuit. wondering if this is the problem? Gonna look into pass switch for drivers side to rewire switch without EDM.
it's that or get a new module but they arent cheap.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

K so I got a module and the window wont work if the drivers side up (dk blue) wire and down (brown) wire to the motor are both connected to there correct wires. window will roll up or down if I disconnect the opposite directions wire from the motor but will still not express down which honestly i dont care if it does I just want it to roll up and down. could it be that my motors are not the newer style motors my old system didnt require a ground in the wiring and the 95 system does. anyone think if I ran a few relays to control up and down from the switch signal to get it to work right? almost seems like I need to alternate ground legs on the motor when its operating.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Perhaps you could go into greater detail about what you're doing. Are you trying to fix factory power windows in a 72 Camaro? Or are you trying to install a more recent power window setup into the older car?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

Any idea if bypassing the express down module will mess with the BCM? Has anyone done this yet?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Yep i bypassed the express down module on my driver's side without any bcm work, just cut into the wires, and it all works fine.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

autotrix does make a drivers side..........with instructions on how to bypass the stock express down module......but why eliminate the express down?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
autotrix does make a drivers side..........with instructions on how to bypass the stock express down module......but why eliminate the express down?
Express down is fine...but i dont know how to make express down work while doing the relay mod. Yeah, I could buy the autotrix kit, but its expensive. I can just pick up a few relays for a few bucks. so I figure screw the express down.

Can somebody point out in this diagram precisely what to do?:.....
Attached Thumbnails Driver's side window fix w/o express down-window-switches.gif  
Old 07-07-2011, 04:46 PM

Default you can make it work

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
The factory edm limits the voltage to the driver side motor to 11 volts. If you eliminate the edm then you can install relays between the switch and the motor and get battey voltage. This will make the drivers side window fly like the passenger side window does after installation of autotrix kit.

I installed the passenger side kit in both doors and eliminated the thermal resistor in both motors. My windows rock.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 PM

To bypass edm using above diagram, pasted from another thread, credit to OP:

*removed brown wire 341 frm s208 to module (c on module)
*removed blue wire 164 frm s263 to module (a on module)
*spliced grey wire 1136 (e on module) to brown wire 165 (d on module)

Now you can essentially plug n play passenger side Autotrix kit EXCEPT the brown and blue wires you splice into no longer come from the switch, they come from the bypassed edm throught the door grommet. You will also need to determine your own routing for power and ground, I just spliced into power I had already installed on passenger side kit. You will no longer have express down but the window works so much better you probably won't miss it.

eta: now that I'm thinking about it, I suppose you could tap into the motor power wires where they leave the edm, I was already in the door to replace the motor so I just tucked the relays into the bottom of the door but the relays could be installed under the dash.

eta again: looking at diagram, you should be able to bypass edm just by cutting gray wire from switch and connecting it to brown wire to motor, then the autotrix kit would be plug n play (or possibly unnecessary since the edm is no longer limiting voltage) I didn't do it that way but if you are feeling brave you could give it a try.

Last edited by ducttape4ever; 07-07-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Default driver side window

the driver side window does not work motor is fine i have a short and power to both wires i wanted to check the relay but not sure exactly where it is the books doesnt explain it too well
Old 08-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by chevylt1camaro
the driver side window does not work motor is fine i have a short and power to both wires i wanted to check the relay but not sure exactly where it is the books doesnt explain it too well
You might want to invest in a keyboard with punctuation characters but if I understand your concern, there are no relays in the power window circuit except for one inside the express down module. The express down module is mounted in a plastic "holster" on the inside of the firewall behind the center console just above where your foot is on the accelerator pedal.

I don't know what you mean by "a short and power" - power is good, a short is not.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

FWIW to anyone else reading, I did perform this steps listed above to wire in a pair of store bought relays on the drivers side and it did work as advertised. I know have 2 fast windows (drv and pass) but no express down.
The ONLY tough part of all of this is figuring out where to stuff the relays in the door so that they fit and dont rattle around while driving!!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Is it possible to use a relay on the driver's side door and retain express down? I understand the wiring, I'm just wondering about the express-down module knowing when to stop. I'm guessing it senses resistance which wouldn't work with a relay.

Quick Reply: Driver's side window fix w/o express down