Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

another door speaker replacement thread....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another door speaker replacement thread....

Im not into stereo and electronics at all.... so I know very little. From what I have read so far people are somehow running 4ohm aftermarket speakers in the doors with Monsoon

so 2000 camaro
Monsoon headunit with tape deck and 12cd changer..... just noting

Can someone please guide me to getting upgraded door speakers for a limit of 100 dollars???? I tried upgraded 2way speakers a few years back because I blew a stock one but they were 4ohm and ended up being very quiet..... so I just returned them and got a factory replacement.... which just recently blew again.

please help.

will these work?

Infinity reference 6032cf..... two way... i dont understand what they mean by true 4ohm.....
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refer...4449556&sr=1-4
Old 05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You want a co-axial or braxial (bracket mounted tweeter) component speaker where the woofer and tweeter are driven separately, not a conventional two way speaker where they are driven together. the Camaro door mount does not have a separate place to mount it's component tweeter, so it has to be attached to the woofer cone, unlike the firebird.

There are some threads on how to separate the tweeter leads out from a cheaper two way speaker, but this is sort of an improvised solution.

Going from a lower impedance to a higher one generally isn't a problem for your amp. The volume level may decrease, but you should be fine if the sensitivity level of your new speaker is high enough (90+ Db W/m)

I think you will have a tough time finding something like this under $100, but for about $160 you'll be close to a lower end CDT convertible set. Do a search on "6.5 component convertible speaker" and see if you find anything in your price range.

Last edited by Capricio; 05-03-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a few links if you decide to convert a coaxial speaker to component:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-monsoon.html

After practicing with the cheap pair of Pioneer speakers as shown in the thread (which sounded pretty good) I bought a pair of used Alpine SPS-17C2 from a forum member and did the same conversion. They sound great and were easier to convert and look much cleaner since they the tweeter wires come out the back of the speaker.

One day I'll save up a few bucks to get the Kee combo but for now, I'm happy.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

alot of good information here.... thanks to both of you.

I bought a set of 6.5'' coaxial Polk Audio speakers($99.99) and seperated the tweeter and midbass and wired accordingly. THis particular speaker has a sensitivity of 92db/w which turned out to be perfect. It sounds great and hopefully these speakers will last much longer than the stockers.

Quick Reply: another door speaker replacement thread....