Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Completely stumped.......need an exorcist!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely stumped.......need an exorcist!

Ok, I am good to go when it comes to mechanical problems and simple electronics and sensors, but this problem has me all kinds of confused. Not to mention, I wouldnt even know where to begin searching for a problem like this.
First of all this is on my wife's car and it is a 2002 V6 Firebird. We have had this car for a few years now and this just started to act up a couple days ago. It all started when she went to roll down the drivers side window and it shut her radio off and the window stopped working. A few minutes later the radio will start working again. Also, when the radio is off this problem doesn't happen. Now, everytime the remote is used to unlock the car, her headlights flip up, flip back down (the lights do not turn on) then a grinding noise follows for a couple seconds.

Can someone please help ???
Old 06-05-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have 2 problems imo. do a search for bcm relay fix which is the windows/stereo issue. and you probally have a stripped headlight gear
Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick reply, ill have to check that relay issue out.
as far as the headlights go, they work fine. The problem is, the remote for the doorlocks are powering the headlight motors somehow. AFAIK, the headlights are not supposed to operate to the remote/alarm. I am pretty sure this is the stock keyless entry system too.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

pentavolvo is correct - the headlights going up and down when using the keyless entry system is a common first symptom of stripped gears in the headlight motor(s). The system can't determine if the headlights are closed because the stripped gears don't provide the resistance that a good set does so the headlights open and close. If not repaired, you will soon start hearing a grinding noise whenever the headlights move and eventually they will stop moving at all (but the grinding noise will continue).
Old 06-05-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

exactly what they said^^^
My 99 TA did the exact same thing. But as soon as I moved the gears around all was good. No more opening with keyless remote, no more jackhammer noise. All was good in the TA headlight world once again. There's lots of threads and information about it. What's easier is to un bolt the swing arm for your headlights from the motor, take the rubber grommet off the headlight motor, turn it half way around (watch the flat part of the bolt you just took off) and bam all done, takes 5 minutes instead of 30 taking the whole assembly apart, then when that goes bad take all apart flip over, and repeat. You've then got 4 uses out of 1 plastic gear instead of just 2. Or buy an aluminum one, 40-50 bucks and no worries about it ever going bad. But you can get all the uses you'll ever need out of the plastic gear, my first round lasted 100k miles.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...s-go-here.html
Old 06-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Teching In

You guys are awesome! Thank you very much! I have always read bits and pieces here and there about the headlight mod, but I never had any problems and this is my (our/ HER) first 4th Gen firebird. I have had mostly Camaros.

Thanks again,
Old 06-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Headlight mod has been completed and successful!

Now where did I leave that soldering gun at .....?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

come over to lafayette if you want and ill take care of relay mod for ya
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Launching!

transponder: Does the security light on her car stay on all the time? My gf's car has had that light on for a long time and for the past couple weeks the window radio issue has been bugging us.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Pentavolo... if ii can ever get a day freed up, I just may take you up on your offer! You are about 2 hours straight west of me on 26. Prob bring a 6 pack along too...

Joe...nope, never had the security light issue. Even still today the only light that come on (besides the gas light, lol) is the SES light because its time to change an O2 sensor. Sorry couldn't help ya there.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

PM me whenever