Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either way that you look at it that stat is skewed! Mojority of people live in the cities where you don't need to drive much more then 5 miles to get groceries, gas or go to work, and theres much more traffic, not too mention all the people that make claims form parking lot accidents! (airbag not likely needed). The more miles you drive the higher chance you get in an accident thats why insurance charges more for cars that are driven more miles.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good grief people, let's get some perspective. Most cars didn't even have airbags until the 90s. It isn't the end of the world if you don't have an airbag.

Our cars don't have side curtain airbags and all the other bs the government requires now, should we add them?

I think some of the stuff the government requires is ridiculous. You take a risk sitting in 3500lbs of steel going 65+ mph, period.

Then again, I ride a Harley on a daily basis so arguing you need an airbag to go around the block in a car to be "safe" is a little funny. Yes, I've been in accidents on the bike, you choose the risk you're willing to live with. I just don't think the government should be choosing for you. Especially when motorcycles are legal but a 2010 Camaro needs 500+ lbs of safety features.

I agree with the statement that the airbag and seatbelt are made to work together though so if you get rid of it a harness is a good idea...
Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Teching In

nicely said. I just wanna know if anyone has done some nice steering wheel swaps and if so post some pics.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrenny32
nicely said. I just wanna know if anyone has done some nice steering wheel swaps and if so post some pics.
I put a grant wheel in mine. Nothing special, better than the huge rubbery feeling stock wheel. I need to paint the silver trim piece black though.

I've seen some people with momo wheels in their camaros and they look great.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing steering wheel?-2efpdsl.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Okay guys, the original topic was about steering wheel replacement - let's not get off track with accident statistics and airbags (especially government regulations... take those discussions to SeatStaysUp.com).

BTW, new cars are not required to have side airbags until they are phased in from 2013 through 2017. Many cars already have them simply because manufacturers are finding that "safety sells".
Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Teching In

I'm thinking of doing a Sparco Mugello wheel with the quick release , but only after putting a full harness in and partial cage. When I worked at the GM proving grounds, some of the F-bods had a cage(solid) and full harnesses - almost impossible to get into the seat with the stock steering wheel and cage without becoming a involuntary contortionist. The full harness became comfy after a while when you don't need to strain your body when turning.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Even in a stock t/a it can be hard to get in and out of and im on 5'8 170! the long door while trying to get into your seat and the steering wheels like right on your lap. I'd like a nice D shaped wheel.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Banned

the ZL1 steering wheel doesnt look all that great. it looks big although the slight D shape does help it. I think the F-body's need a little smaller than stock steering wheel with a D shape to look good.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Ya thats what I think too! A little smaller and D shape would be awesome, thats why I was asking about the C6 wheel. If you go to ebay (can't remember the guys actual website) he makes custom D shaped C6 wheels and they look like they would be the perfect size and shape
Old 05-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

I see this is an old tread, but maybe I can still get my question answered. Will the 93-97 steering wheel work on a 2000? I want to upgrade to a leather steering wheel but I don't want a bunch of steering wheel controls that don't work.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by FraziaFraz
I see this is an old tread, but maybe I can still get my question answered. Will the 93-97 steering wheel work on a 2000? I want to upgrade to a leather steering wheel but I don't want a bunch of steering wheel controls that don't work.
Will it physically fit? Yes.
Will anything work (airbag, horn, etc.)? Can't say. Both Camaro and Firebird changed steering wheels for the 2000 model year. Even the earlier wheels that included audio controls changed from the 1999 to the 2000 model. There is no listing of what exactly was changed but the horn switches have different part numbers so that's at least one difference.

All Camaro leather wheels from 93-99 were the same part - no audio switches. All Camaro leather wheels from 00-02 were the same part that included audio switches.

Firebird leather wheels changed a couple of times over the years. 93-94 was one version, 95-96 was different, then from 97 on all the leather wheels had audio switches.

Both models had the unknown change between 1999 and 2000. I've heard that it was nothing more than a color change but the airbag changed as well so I don't know if they were compatible.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

So if their not compatible, then here is my next question. Is it possible to have the current wheel leather wrapped? And have it wrapped without being as thick as having a steering wheel cover.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I didn't say they're not compatible... only that they're different but I don't know if they're compatible or not.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by FraziaFraz
Is it possible to have the current wheel leather wrapped?
I would think any upholstery shop could do this for you. You may want to post that question in the Appearance and Detailing section.

Quick Reply: Replacing steering wheel?