Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo Questions for the Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Questions for the Gurus

Hey guys,

I have a request that is a little out of the f-body norm. My parents have a 2002 GMC 2500HD extended cab and need a new headunit and speakers for it. I know absolutely nothing about stereo equipment or where to get it. So what do y'all recomend? My mom listens to a lot of cds, and they are not interested in getting amps, etc. Just a headunit and replacement speakers. I'll be in town to get the actual speaker sizes later but what brands, models, etc. are good and the same for the headunits.

Thanks a ton for the help guys!
Old 07-09-2011, 02:53 AM
Teching In

Sony , alpine, kenwood (my fav) pioneer makes some good ones. Jvc is alright.

Now for speakers I'd go with kicker or alpine.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

deck - pioneer
speakers - get us size's. also will depend on budget. infinity's are a popular choice and not expensive.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

What is a good Pioneer deck? My parents are extremely partial to Pioneer products. And where do y'all get your stuff from?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

So I have been browsing around Best Buys website but I am absolutely lost on what head unit to get. My parents are old and don't exactly get a long with "new fangeld" technology so well, so something that is super easy use and has fairly large buttons on it would be awesome.

As far as the speakers go the sizes are 6 1/2 components the front, and 4X6's in the rear.

As far as total costs my guess would be something around 600ish dollars. I haven't done stereo stuff in a long time so I honestly don't have a clue how much it costs to get good decent stuff.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 10-01-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wal mart has some decent head units and speakers for less than $600, possibly half that price to be honest. Get a head unit with an aux input. Someone may have an iPod, mp3 or cell phone and want to hear music from it. This is what I did for my tow truck. Its sounds good for around $300
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Clarion decks and I'm somewhat partial to Rainbow and Focal speakers, personally. But if they just want something decent yet cheap then I recommend Boston Acoustics. Could come out of this paying just $200-300 if you go that way.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think crutchfield.com has a section where you can input your vehicle info and it tells you what speakers are compatible. Find the model number you like from the results and shop around on google. I wouldn't waste your money at Best Buy they're insanely expensive for everything. Maybe just go there to see what you like and then buy online.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

pioneer, any pioneer. avoid sony like its the plague (because it is) avoid kicker unless you're spending a lot of money, in which case just buy rockford fosgate. get everything, and I mean EVERYTHING from ebay. find the speakers you want on bestbuy/crutchfield, then find them for 1/4 the price on ebay. pioneer makes damn good speakers too.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

I have a JVC and works just fine..they might get too confused on how to work a pioneer head unit

I also use (non-sponsor link removed)

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-03-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 10-02-2011, 02:54 AM
Launching!

Deck.... Alpine or kenwood
Speakers. Kicker, infinity , alpine, kenwood.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mai krod
pioneer, any pioneer. avoid sony like its the plague (because it is) avoid kicker unless you're spending a lot of money, in which case just buy rockford fosgate. get everything, and I mean EVERYTHING from ebay. find the speakers you want on bestbuy/crutchfield, then find them for 1/4 the price on ebay. pioneer makes damn good speakers too.
Originally Posted by Maroboy
Speakers. Kicker, infinity , alpine, kenwood.

I don't agree with any of this except in some cases buying from Ebay.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Banned

Alpine is my favorite... alpine decks are awesome and their type R speakers are great for the money. Pretty soon the underground audiophile goblins are going to invade this thread and tell you every popular brand is garbage and refer you to some unknown brand that they will tell you is the best thing since sliced bread. But if you want something easy to find, easy to install, and affordable, I suggest kicker or alpine type R speakers with a good alpine deck, or even a higher end pioneer.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Look up a speaker company called german mastro there a spin off of the old MB QUART,hands down one of the best speakers,Gets a headunit with a high Input voltage,Alpine radios have alot of Crossover BS ,Sony uses alot of DC offset,Just find a radio that you like
Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
Alpine is my favorite... alpine decks are awesome and their type R speakers are great for the money. Pretty soon the underground audiophile goblins are going to invade this thread and tell you every popular brand is garbage and refer you to some unknown brand that they will tell you is the best thing since sliced bread. But if you want something easy to find, easy to install, and affordable, I suggest kicker or alpine type R speakers with a good alpine deck, or even a higher end pioneer.
Why don't you actually try some real good speakers? I can invade this thread as you said, but the difference between you and I is that I have actually installed and used many different speakers. And for the poster below, if you want some REAL good German speakers, run what I run: Rainbow. I'm now running Rainbow Profi Kicks with Seas Neo tweeters. I don't like the Rainbows as much as the Usher 8945P's that I tried, but those ended up not fitting and I didn't want to mod my door panel. But I do like them. The 8945P has the best sound of any woofer that I've heard so far (to me).