Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

'99 WS6 Speakers & Component Installation Problem - Sail Panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 WS6 Speakers & Component Installation Problem - Sail Panels

I'm replacing all the speakers in my '99 WS6, but on the sail panel speakers, it seems like the speaker is two-way. I ordered two sets of Polk Audio components, so for this speaker are there adapters for the wiring harness or should I hard wire in the tweeter, or not use the tweeter in the set at all? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section. The factory sail panel speakers are dual voice coil subs. You've got the wrong kind of speakers altogether.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section. The factory sail panel speakers are dual voice coil subs. You've got the wrong kind of speakers altogether.
WhiteBird.... Oohhh, I see what you're saying. Upon reading that FAQ it seems that the front door speakers are obviously components, the HATCH speakers are components. I bought this car last Monday, and the guy I bought it off of gave me TWO sets of Polk Audio 6750's, but I've now found that I need DVC Subs, like you've suggested, for the sail panels. Thank you!

Do you have any suggestions for subs or should I just go ahead and do my research? Seems like the Bazooka's are a popular option... Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The Bazookas have become a popular choice because they work well and are inexpensive. There are other makes and models of speakers that can be used but most either don't work as well or are more expensive. I have used the Audiopipe DVC subs from Kee Audio and was quite satisfied with their performance but I don't think he sells them anymore. elementalDesigns had a very good 6.5" DVC sub but it has now been discontinued although you may be able to find some on eBay (the eD subs were deeper than stock and required a spacer to mount properly). CDT apparently has a new sub to fit f-bodies that Ian (Kee Audio) has been quite impressed with - you should contact him for more information.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
CDT apparently has a new sub to fit f-bodies that Ian (Kee Audio) has been quite impressed with - you should contact him for more information.
the ones that he is refering to are the HD-6MSUB DVC 6.5" Subwoofer and Ian says that they are the best ones yet. now they are on pre-order right now, and gome out in the first week of september (maybe earlier) so talk to Ian and he will hook you up. you can check them out here:

http://www.keeaudio.com/cdtaudiosubwoofers.html

3rd speakers down from the top. also brouse the rest of their site, as they have some good stuff. they also have complete speaker replacements systems that use the factory amp and head unit. for example, i am running stock amp and factory HU, with 2 adapters on it, one for my DTC DVC 10" sub in my stealth box, and one for my added MP3/IPOD input. mine sounds great! so if you want a custom package, just PM Ian here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=27166

that is KEE AUDIO's profile, just hit him up and the sound genius will answer all your questions.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, sound genius is really pushing it...
Best way to contact me is through email right now. I am switching some things around with my phone contacts to try and keep up with the calls.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
LOL, sound genius is really pushing it...
Best way to contact me is through email right now. I am switching some things around with my phone contacts to try and keep up with the calls.
You've responded to an e-mail of mine... sounds like Bazooka's are the way to go!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In this instance yes. For most other applications I would never use SAS Bazooka products. These little drivers work though. For whatever reason, they do well with the stock system and of course wire up like stock. The power handling is excellent and bass response is as good or better then stock. The quality of the materials are also much better then the stock pieces. It is all around superior to the stock units in quality. A #6 Dorman speed nut is used to line the screw holes up better although I have seen some people use the stock ones if they pull them inward enough.
Alot of people were ok with the Audiopipes but I had enough problems with the spider coming loose on them that I had to discontinue carrying them. They sounded good and had a nice design with the screw in terminals but they attached the pos and neg leads to the spider on them and people would push to hard on the screws with the screw driver attaching the wires and pop the spider loose. I replaced alot of those and decided it just wasn't worth it anymore when I had the Bazooka doing a great job already with no returns on them. They are bullet proof.
The new CDT DVC sub is in production as we speak. It is based on the award winning CDT HD-6 driver and shares the same magnet, frame and cone. The voice coil is beefed up and of course dual. It also has beautiful spring loaded terminals just like HD-6 which makes installation extremely easy, no solder...no crimp on connectors. I worked with Ken from CDT on these to make sure they were exactly what we needed for optimal bass and ease of installation plus excellent CDT audiophile quality. I can't wait to get these in.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Teching In

I'm rockin the Bazooka's from Kee. definitely no complaints here.

Quick Reply: '99 WS6 Speakers & Component Installation Problem - Sail Panels