Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fbody Speakers beside backseat question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Fbody Speakers beside backseat question

Hey guys thanks in advance, Ever since I bought my 97 camaro The speakers beside the backseat never worked so today I took the cover off and checked them out, I played music and watched them they moved like for the bass but made no sound so I was wondering if they are just like a bass booster or they are broken. Also If you could help me with the size, specs, etc and what would be a good replacement if they are broke. Thanks

This is what I am talking about

I was thinking these would be a good replacement ?
(non-sponsor link removed)

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-09-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you linked SHOULD fit since they are pretty shallow but they are full range speakers, not the ideal woofers because those speakers are supposed to be woofers for bass.

How good do you want your system? Do you have any interest in a stealthbox to get some real bass? Or do you want to stick with the sail panels for bass? If so, how much bass do you want? Pretty good bass or is just "some" bass okay? Are you against using an aftermarket amp, or would you consider that? What's your budget?

My recommendation for people that want decent bass from sails is Peerless SLS with an aftermarket amp. If you don't want to go that far, a lot of people get Bazooka woofers from KEE Audio and hook them up to the stock system. They aren't 'good' but they are somewhat better than stock, do work reasonably well with the stock amp, and are pretty cheap.

You will never get more than "decent" bass from the sails, no matter what speaker you put in there. If you want to graduate to "good" or "great," you MUST go with a real subwoofer in the back.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks alot man I just want to replace them. I was looking at something close to stock quality or a little better. I would say my budget is around $100-180max. The sound system in my car audio is stock besides the stereo so I dont want have 2 amazing speakers and the rest ok it would be stupid.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put those in my '98 T/A. They sound good to me, but I wasn't looking for anything much better than stock.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea thats what I'm going for They have been blow since I got the car so anything is an improvement haha. Alamo you have the "Kicker DS65" ?

Quick Reply: Fbody Speakers beside backseat question