Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

220 amp alternator and "Big 3" on the way. What else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 220 amp alternator and "Big 3" on the way. What else do I need?

Alright guys, my alternator is on the way out. So I ordered a 220 amp alternator. Do I need a 220 amp alternator? No, not really, but if I was ordering an alternator anyway why not order a high output alternator? Obviously I needed the "big 3" to go with the 220 amp, so I just ordered the pre-fabed cables from innovative wiring. YEAH YEAH, you can make the same thing for cheaper, I know! But I really didn't feel like screwing with it to save $50.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-4511-f...02-8242-5.aspx

http://www.innovativewiring.com/Pont...ontiacPage.htm

No my question is, I've noticed all these mentions a fuse in line with the alternator, is anyone here doing this?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no you dont need a fuse.

Hope you dont have the same issues with your 220 amp alt as this guy.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post15276701
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't absolutely NEED one but I highly recommend it to protect your battery and alternator both. I really do recommend it. Get a weatherproof 0 gauge fuse holder. They are not expensive. If you're running car audio then you can get a dual fuse holder / distribution block so that one side goes to the battery, then there's a fuse that goes to the alternator and a separate fuse that goes to your car audio. Use 0 gauge for the battery and alternator and 4, 2, or 0 gauge for car audio, depending on what you're running. Stock wire to the under-hood fuse/junction box can either go to the battery or you could even get a triple fuse holder and use that.

Oh, and use dielectric grease on your under-the-hood connections, like where the wires go into the fuse block. The same stuff you'd use on spark plug boots or lights. It'll help prevent corrosion.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that kit was for a LT1?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by strokerrace
I thought that kit was for a LT1?
scroll down the page more, there are (2) options for LS1
Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cookba
no you dont need a fuse.

Hope you dont have the same issues with your 220 amp alt as this guy.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post15276701
I hope not either, the 220 I ordered comes with a 1 year warranty, so atleast I'm safe for a year.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i have said it time and time again......tryin to get more amps out of a CS130 is like makin a 2 yr go to sleep with a bottle of whiskey.......it may work.....but its not really the best solution.......the AD244 has the bigger stator......bigger rectifier......voltage regulator.....these bigger parts handle the additional amps better.......and best of all.... IT FITS
Old 08-17-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive ordered the KG3 as sjsingle1 mentioned, $60 from Ebay...time to remove the stk 105A unit. My stk unit already failed me and was rebuilt. With the age of the car, I dont trust the alt so its being replaced. Ive done alot of upgrades to my car to.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i have said it time and time again......tryin to get more amps out of a CS130 is like makin a 2 yr go to sleep with a bottle of whiskey.......it may work.....but its not really the best solution.......the AD244 has the bigger stator......bigger rectifier......voltage regulator.....these bigger parts handle the additional amps better.......and best of all.... IT FITS
I agree; CS130 isn't particularly worth it. Because it is a good bit smaller, it's going to have much less output at idle... and obviously be less reliable.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

damn, maybe I should try to see if they will exchange it for a high output AD244. The UPS site says it will be here tomorrow, maybe I should send it right back for an exchange?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
damn, maybe I should try to see if they will exchange it for a high output AD244. The UPS site says it will be here tomorrow, maybe I should send it right back for an exchange?
Doesn't hurt to call them and see... preferably before it gets delivered - that way you can refuse delivery and not have to pay return shipping if they are okay with receiving it back. And they might actually prefer you do that so they know it hasn't been opened.

I am not familiar with that company but if their work is good then it should be better than stock... just definitely not as good as an AD244. If their work isn't so good then you're going to have idle problems.

Quick Reply: 220 amp alternator and "Big 3" on the way. What else do I need?