Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HDMI and Receiver help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HDMI and Receiver help

Setting up my buddys Tv, directv, and blu ray player. Receiver is a top of the line Denon. When I plug in the blu ray player via hdmi to the receiver, then hdmi out to the tv, I only get picture on the tv no sound. Same for the Directv. Right now he has no speakers hooked up to the receiver. Is there a setting I need to change on the receiver in order to get sound on the tv? And before anyone says just plug in the blu ray and directv straight into the back of the tv, its already mounted on the wall and the hdmi in cable is ran through the attic about 15 ft away to the receiver. Im basically using the rec as a switch. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt there a setup featured on the TV to select the TV speaker over external ones?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah if you dig around in the GUI menus there is a setting to pass audio out the monitor output or process it on the receiver. You can also put the receiver in pass-through mode so it doesn't even have to be turned on to send unaltered HDMI sources to the TV. You can download the manual from the Denon website. You may also find this helpful:

http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#video
Old 08-20-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BD player may need to be told to use HDMI for audio. TV settings are irrelevant. Audio shouldn't be reaching the TV. Top of the line Denon? Nice, because those are a good bit over $1000.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

This setup has an LS1 in it?

You should be able to do a quick test by connecting the Blu-Ray player directly to the TV using the HDMI cable currently connected to the receiver (I'm assuming the player and receiver are close together). That takes the receiver out of the equation, allowing you to confirm settings on the TV and player so tat you get sound.

And of course the TV settings are relevant... if the TV is configured to use only external speakers but no external speakers are connected to it, there will be no sound. Also, Blu-Ray players always output audio over HDMI cables.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Capricio
Yeah if you dig around in the GUI menus there is a setting to pass audio out the monitor output or process it on the receiver. You can also put the receiver in pass-through mode so it doesn't even have to be turned on to send unaltered HDMI sources to the TV. You can download the manual from the Denon website. You may also find this helpful:

http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#video
This is exactly what I needed. Here was my problem....

HDMI AUDIO OUT: This selects whether HDMI audio is “stripped” from the signal to be played on your surround sound speakers, or whether you want the HDMI audio passed through to your TV. If you leave it on the default setting, "AMP", the sound will come from your speakers. If you switch it to "TV", the sound will be passed to your TV. Note that this is an either/or setting! You can't do both at the same time! Also, this only applies to HDMI audio. Your receiver will not "upconvert" other types of audio to be output to your TV via the HDMI cable.

Last edited by Charlie Hustle; 08-20-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
This setup has an LS1 in it?

You should be able to do a quick test by connecting the Blu-Ray player directly to the TV using the HDMI cable currently connected to the receiver (I'm assuming the player and receiver are close together). That takes the receiver out of the equation, allowing you to confirm settings on the TV and player so tat you get sound.

And of course the TV settings are relevant... if the TV is configured to use only external speakers but no external speakers are connected to it, there will be no sound. Also, Blu-Ray players always output audio over HDMI cables.
Yes, I bypassed the reciever and just connected the blu ray directly into the tv and get both sound and picture no proble. Its only when I go through the receiver that I get no audio on the tv. It was late the other night and Im not sure where he placed the manual so I didnt really want to mess with it. We just plugged it directly into the tv to watch the movie.

Thank you everyone for your responses.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Denon manuals are terrible compared to others. Just FYI, if you have DirecTV, you have to go into the DirecTV box's menu to enable dolby digital, it is not on by default. A lot of people never knew they had to turn it on.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Capricio
Denon manuals are terrible compared to others. Just FYI, if you have DirecTV, you have to go into the DirecTV box's menu to enable dolby digital, it is not on by default. A lot of people never knew they had to turn it on.
Thanks again for the great info.