Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Just replaced a digital dash in an 87 TA..why does it show wrong mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just replaced a digital dash in an 87 TA..why does it show wrong mileage

I just replaced the digital dash from another 87 TA into my car...why does it show the old cars mileage and not what mine initially displayed? I thought the mileage was taken off the main computer module. Any insight on this. Also if this is the case, it is okay to swap out board from the old digital dash to the new digital dash?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

It's probably in the BCM on newer cars, but in the dash on older cars, just like how it used to mechanically be in the dash.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its an 87 dash to an 87 car...no difference
Old 09-03-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he means that the mileage info is stored in the gauge cluster itself not in ecu memory like a newer car. Like a 1971 nova has a mechanical rolling odometer. If you switched it out with another one it would not show the mileage of the old cluster. Unless adjusted. There are companies out there that will calibrate a cluster for you I think.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darksol
I think he means that the mileage info is stored in the gauge cluster itself not in ecu memory like a newer car. Like a 1971 nova has a mechanical rolling odometer. If you switched it out with another one it would not show the mileage of the old cluster. Unless adjusted. There are companies out there that will calibrate a cluster for you I think.
This is correct....I thought that the old mileage is stored in the main computer not on the dash PCB's. There must be a memory chip or something on the board itself located within the digital dash assembly. My 87 TA has about 54000 miles on it, the digital dash that I installed reads 200K+ on it. I would rather see the 54K. Do you think a car shop can calibrate this?