Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

car alarm goes off when washing car

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default car alarm goes off when washing car

as the title says, my alarm will go off only when i wash my car.
Its a 96 z28 and it has a factory alarm as far as i can tell. When i first got it last year, it was fine, it never went off even after washing it. It may have done it once or twice but i paid no mind since it was very rare. Then one time it did it on a random day without even washing it. And now its been happening more often.

I wash my car at home with the alarm off, and when i finish drying it, i lock the car. Then around 3 seconds later the alarm starts going off. I know for a fact its not the sensitivity. Even if i lock the car from the inside(without using the keychain) it will set it off. Anyone else had this problem? I dont even know where to begin looking...
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

moisture build up in the shock sensor, its by the spare tire.
You can open it and let it dry or just remove it completely.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

thanks, if i remove it, will it affect me in any other way? Will the alarm still work?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The shock sensor's job is to sense any type of impact and trip the alarm. If the sensor is unplugged and something hits your car, the alarm won't go off.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Cool, im gonna wash my car again tomorow and ill look into the sensor and have it dry out.

Last question, will i have to dry the sensor everytime i wash my car? or is there a way i can clean it or replace it without buying a new alarm system?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Stupid question .....does the alarm go off when you hose down the passenger side rear? If I hit mine with a hard stream of water it will go off, the shock sensor is picking up the vibration/impact of the water stream.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
Stupid question .....does the alarm go off when you hose down the passenger side rear? If I hit mine with a hard stream of water it will go off, the shock sensor is picking up the vibration/impact of the water stream.
No it doesnt. I even have one of those jet stream guns attached to the hose, and the pressure wont make the alarm go off. The only time it went off while washing it, was when i accidentaly got the antenna stuck in my shirt. Im guessing i can rule out the shock sensitivity.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not really if you got your shirt stuck on the antenna the sensor probably picked up the vibration.

Quick Reply: car alarm goes off when washing car