Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No Tweeter Sound

Old 09-14-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Tweeter Sound

I finally got around to upgrading my sound system. I picked up some choice parts from Ian at Kee audio and went about installing them. I found that the tweeters arent putting out almost any volume. I have to literally put it to my ear to hear it. I switched the stock tweeter back and realized theres the same lack of sound with that one as well. This leads me to believe it is something wrong with the rest of my system. I have yet to touch the rest of it and it is just the stock monsoon. Any ideas of where to look for the issue?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you install the tweeters?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Took the stock connectors off the old tweeters and soldered them on the new ones as Ian recommended. It is the same result on both sides and I did double and triple check that the polarity is correct on both tweeters.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might be the stock filter on there. Try this:
Unsolder the tweeter. Wire the connector to the CDT crossover on the input side without the filter...just the connector part. Then run the tweeter output on there to the tweeter. Also adjust the crossover to +3 on the selector switch inside the CDT crossover.
If the stock filter is not working right then the CDT crossover will do the job better anyway.
See if that works better.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not touch the stock tweeter wires. Use the stock woofer wires into a CDT crossover then to the separate components. Or use an aftermarket amp. This is extremely important; you absolutely cannot get good sound quality if you do not follow this advice. I do highly recommend an aftermarket amp, though. You can get a great 2 channel amp for well under $100 if you go used. I'd recommend picking up a nice old school amp from a/d/s or Precision Power or similar from Ebay/car audio forum (not giving a specific one - there are many) classifieds. Should be able to score one for like $50-75 shipped.

Last edited by dragonrage; 09-15-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try both and see if either one helps/produces the best sound.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Ian, there is no selector in the cross over. It is just two coils and two resistors. It appears to be the same crossover that is pictured with the CL-60s on your site, not the full crossover box. Where is the stock filter located at in the wiring?

Last edited by DropTopBird; 09-15-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Bump for some help. Tried both suggestions with no real effect. Midbass sounds great but there's nothing but bass coming from the front now. The tweeters are literally so soft that you have to hold them up to your ear to know they are on. This can't be the way they are supposed to be is it?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't use the crossovers with the midbass up front. Just the tweeters.
If your still not getting sound from the stock tweeters or the new tweeters even using the new crossovers then something is up with the signal going to them. Those CDT tweeters can take alot of abuse.
Try taking the signal from the midbass, leaving the midbass wired up directly to the connector like it was before, then attach the leads from the crossover input to that. Then connect the tweeter to that and see if you get anything. You should get some sound then since the midbass was working correctly prior.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

I will try that when I get home. I think I already tried that configuration though. Almost all of the sound is coming from the rear speakers. They are still the stock ones since I haven't recieved the trim ring yet. Would the fact that I can barely hear the tweeters over the highs of the back speakers be due to the volume difference from the differeny impendence if the front vs back (4v2)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Tweeter Sound