Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Options for sail panel speaker

Old 10-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for sail panel speaker

Hey guys I am currently looking to replace the sail panel speakers. I am running the stock monsoon, what are the best options...cdt from kee audio, kicker cvt65, ect. Thanks ahead of time
Old 10-02-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd definitely go CDT out of the options that will fit in there.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Teching In

How will going from the 2ohm stock to a 4ohm cdt effect sound. I noticed the kicker cvt65 is sold in a 2ohm
Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

It will have no effect on sound quality but the doubled impedance will cut your output power in half which equates to a 3dB drop in volume (the equivalent of about one click on the volume ****).
Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It will have no effect on sound quality but the doubled impedance will cut your output power in half which equates to a 3dB drop in volume (the equivalent of about one click on the volume ****).
3dB compared to if the speaker were 2 ohm instead of 4 ohm (but won't the DVC woofers that Ian mentioned give a 2 ohm load? I assume they are D4s...). But comparing between speakers isn't that simple because sensitivities and frequency responses will be different.

If you want much bass in these cars, an aftermarket amp will be necessary whether you go for sail panel subwoofers or a stealthbox. Evena $75 amp on the sails (or even cheaper if you buy a used amp) would make a huuuuge difference. (Feel free to try the stock amp out and see if it's good enough for you first... You can always add an aftermarket amp later.)

Last edited by dragonrage; 10-03-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You're right... I was referring to replacing an SVC 2-ohm speaker with an equivalent SVC 4-ohm speaker. Using a DVC 4-ohm + 4-ohm speaker with the voice coils wired in parallel will give a nominal 2-ohm load. And as you mentioned, sensitivity/efficiency differences between decent aftermarket speakers and the inefficient factory speakers will normally make up for any losses due to increased impedance.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Teching In

So if I am picturing this correctly I would purchase a DVC sub such as HD-6MSUB DVC 6.5Subwoofer and run each of them in parallel to make them a 2ohm load...correct? Or do I just get the SVC? Also does anyone have the CDT subs installed on a factory camaro monsoon, If so how do they sound compared to stock?

Thanks for all the input
Old 10-03-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Get the DVC. I do not have them, nor do I have an F-body anymore, but I guarantee you they will sound considerably better on either the stock amp or - better - an aftermarket amp. Hopefully you can get some input from others as I don't expect you to trust what I just said given the disclaimers I gave. They will definitely be a huge step up, though.

I do use a CDT subwoofer (and have a second waiting to be installed) though - QES-1220. It's pretty nice.

Last edited by dragonrage; 10-03-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Appriciate the input dragonrage, I am clueless to the audio setup. The stock subs just seem to die out on certain bass hits. Just looking for something with cleaner sound...I understand I wont get earth shattering bass from a 6.5 on the stock amp. So if anyone else as any input.....As of now it appears the HD-6MSUB DVC 6.5 is the speakers of choice for my camaro....More opinions are greatly welcome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Options for sail panel speaker