Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

door speaker crackling

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door speaker crackling

so my monsoon speakers in the door went out and i got some JBLs from Kee Audio (great people btw) and i put them in and soon after the passenger one was crackling. i knew the connections were loose so i finally got around to taking the door panel off and fixing it.

i made sure the connections were solid and listened to one song before putting the door panel on. i listened to it on various sound levels and all were good. i put the door panel on and start driving around but now if the volume is up (or moderately up) it will start to crackle again.

thoughts?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A. Take the door panel off and see if you can get it to crackle
B. If it does crackle, swap your left and right speakers. If the crackling sound swaps with the speakers, you've got a defective speaker. If not, you may have a defective HU/amp or you're trying to push it too hard.

Also, try to seal off the large holes in the door skin. I recommend fiberglass, but some people use sound deadener to do this. I normally recommend RAAMAudio RAAMMat for CLD, but for this specific purpose, I'd recommend Second Skin AlphaDamp because it has a much thicker aluminum layer, and that's good because in this case, we want it to be rigid. Sealing your doors like this will get you significant gains in the midbass. I saw one person measure out the difference in their car recently and it was about 5dB of midbass. Sealing his door was the equivalent of running nearly 4 times the power. It will lower distortion at any given output level because the speaker will need to work less hard to get the output that you're looking for. And it will thus increase your maximum output potential as well.

Last edited by dragonrage; 10-04-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Teching In

@dragonrage

thanks for the info, I've had this issue with my 02 as well. Changed out the speakers twice now and same results, front speakers sound blown and it happens on both sides regardless of which speakers I put in. How hard is it to replace the amps?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info, i'll start off by swapping them, then add the sound deadener (which i planned on doing anyways) hopefully its one of the two

Quick Reply: door speaker crackling