Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

3rd brake light and defroster not working

Old 10-24-2011, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3rd brake light and defroster not working

So my cyclops and rear defroster do not work. Replaced the bulbs in the cyclops and nothing. No power is getting to the socket for the bulbs. It is my understanding that the 3rd brake light is wired right off the brake switch so it should come on with the normal brake lights [which work fine]. When I engage the defroster with the button near the radio it clicks and the light illuminates, so I don't think the problem lies there. The interior light near the hatch works just fine though. This leads me to believe it is a wiring issue to the hatch for the brake light and defroster.

How can I go about testing/verifying where the issue is stemming from? Are there any common areas you guys have run into where wires brake/split in the hatch? Looking for some direction here. Thanks in advance all!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Bumping this up for the morning crew. Any input guys? I'm thinking maybe the wiring coming from the interior under the headliner up through the bundle into the hatch is the issue. How do I go about getting access to the hatch wiring harness? Unscrew dome light and pull headliner down a little?? Don't want to mess anything up here.

Maybe WhiteBird will chime in here with some input. =)
Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Going to bump this up again. Got the car out this weekend. Still have the same problem with the 3rd brake light and rear defrost. Any ideas guys?? I pulled the headlined down a little and noticed there was a ground wire not connected to anything up there. Temporarily attached it under the dome light, but that didn't help. Where does that ground wire go?!

Search this Thread