Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Difference between DVC and SVC subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between DVC and SVC subwoofers

I ordered the Camaro speaker package from Kee Audio. I received the CDT HD-6MDVC subwoofers. On the Kee site it says the Camaro package comes with SVC subs and the Firebird package comes with the DVC subs. So I assume they sent me the wrong speakers. What exactly is the difference between them?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

SVC(single voice coil) has only 1 place(pos/neg) to plug in wires and DVC(dual voice coil) has 2 places(2pos/2neg) to plug in wires.

Thats about the easiest way to put it.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

DVC speakers have two (dual) voice coils driving the speaker cone - it's somewhat like having two identical speakers in one. The DVC subs he sent you are probably 4-ohm and 4-ohm for the two coils. Connecting them in parallel will give you the net 2-ohm impedance that is standard in Camaro Monsoon systems. Connect the two positive terminals together and the two negative terminals together then connect one pair (doesn't matter which one) to the two wires in the car.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Teching In

I figured there must be an easy way to make that work. DVC subs sound better anyway to me then since you get more options on how to wire them. Thanks for the quick replies. I'm definitely new to this so any info. is appreciated.