Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HU question for non F-Body install

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HU question for non F-Body install

I know that I don't have an F-body but, I've come here since the folks on this board seem to be the most knowledgeable about GM factory radios.

My setups. I have a 95 Grand Prix GTP, the cd player in my HU went bad, so I was told that as long as I had a 9pin port on the radio it could control the 12 disc changer. I have the changer player and wire and needless to say, I have a HU that only controls a cassette player. I always thought it was the cd changer itself until I was reading this board.
I also have 84 El Camino, that I want to put in a cd HU that will be able to control the changer also as I'll switch it between cars. I do realize that there will be small problems switching between a 2 post and a 1 1/2 din radio, but all I need is the wiring harness and a new face plate since later El Camino's and Monte Carlo's came with the bigger radio from the factory and I've seen the swaps done before.
One assumption I'd like to make is that each car at this point has 2 front and 2 rear speakers.

Questions, after reading the Monsoon FAQ thread, I know I need to look for cd HU's that are from 2000 and newer vehicles as earlier radios can be iffy.

Do monsoon cd HU's drive 4 speakers, from what I've read on this board I beleive that's a yes but I'm looking for confirmation. I know I don't need a monsoon HU but I want to keep my options open as I'm looking for 2 CD HU's.

Amplifiers, I understand that a camaro and a firebird are different, but is it just the number of speakers that you cna hook up to them? If I only want to drive the rear speakers, then does either amp work with either radio?

Also what is a monsoon amp 09364903 and are they any good?
I'm asking because I see on this board these comments for amps:

"96-02 Firebird/TA Monsoon Amp #16257132
97-02 camaro Monsoon Amp #16255971 opt code #U59
or #16257161 opt code #U27
Oops..close, but there was no Monsoon system in Firebirds in 96, the 97 amp was a different part from the 98-02 for both Camaros and Firebirds, the Camaro coupe Monsoon option code is UZ7, and the U59 code applies only to convertibles."

Thanks.

Bill
Old 10-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The "Monsoon" head units are just ordinary 4-channel Delco head units with an extra sticker on the front. There is absolutely nothing different about them than any other 1.5 DIN radio GM produced at the time. So yes, they drive four speakers directly without requiring any external amplification.

Monsoon amps have several differences. The 97 version was different than later models but they were completely interchangeable (in fact, the 97 amp part number supersedes to the newer part number). Camaro coupes were different from Firebird coupes and all convertibles were different from coupes. The differences had to do with speaker placement, impedance, and signal filtering. For a non-F-body installation, I wouldn't even bother trying to make a Monsoon amp work. I'd just use the head unit output directly.

Quick Reply: HU question for non F-Body install