Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rear Hatch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hatch Problem

ok well ive had this problem for awhile and im just now getting around to fixing it. My rear hatch release dont work on the key fob or the switch inside. The car is getting signal from the key fob bc when i press the rear trunk release button i go to set the alarm and it beeps once like a door is ajar. I close the rear hatch after opening it with the key and beeps twice when setting the alarm. When i press the button i dont even hear the hatch mechanism even working, it didnt start doing this till after the t56 swap, so my question is where does the wires run for it?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Check your PWR ACCY fuse first before tracing wires.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:58 AM

fuse is good
Old 12-02-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EVILS1Camaro
it didnt start doing this till after the t56 swap, so my question is where does the wires run for it?
So wire it up. I don't know what kind of car you have so I can't say for sure. But on mine, you splice the orange/black wire to the tan wire for the e-brake sensor.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:22 AM

orange/black wire to the tan wire? I have a 98 Z28 camaro, so i dont kno if the wires are the same.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:37 PM

i see an orange and black wire, its on a plug that had the reverse lights and all that on it. Should i clip that wire and just ground it with the black wire and then hook up the orange wire to a power source?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You might want to do a little diagnostic testing before randomly changing the wiring - you don't even know if it's a wiring problem. It could be the release solenoid, the relay or even the BCM.

First use a multimeter or test light to see if you're getting power at the release mechanism. Then you can check for power at the relay. You can also test for the necessary ground signal from the BCM.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You might want to do a little diagnostic testing before randomly changing the wiring - you don't even know if it's a wiring problem. It could be the release solenoid, the relay or even the BCM.
He did a M6 swap and never wired it up right, that's the most likely issue.

OP, that orange/black wire sounds like the right one, but I can't confirm if LS1 and LT1 wire colors are the same. You do not want to just connect it to the black wire on that connector, because then your hatch release will work all the time. Even while driving.

To do it properly, you want to use a quick splice tap and hook that orange/black wire to the wire going to the e-brake sensor under the console. My wire was tan. Then the hatch release will only work with the e-brake pulled, just like stock.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:36 AM

there is only one wire going to the ebrake area, its a light blue wire that just slides on the prong. Do i just wire the orange/black wire to that? bc i tried wiring it to the accessory socket to see if it would work and got nothing. The black wire is the ground so i grounded it, and then the orange/black wire i hooked to the hot wire and didnt work.

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Problem