Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing Stock Speakers in Grand Prix GXP.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Stock Speakers in Grand Prix GXP.

So after spending a retarded amount on the woman and buying my daughter's christmas presents, I am left with around $300+ to spend on myself. Since I made the decision to hold off on any performance parts (other than the exhaust I'm doing after tax time) til when (if) my transmission starts acting up, I decided to dump it into finishing up my audio upgrade. This is what I currently have...

Kenwood DPX308U
Alpine MRP-M500
Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad capacitor
JL Audio 12w3 Mine is actually a 12w3 V3.2 but it still has the same specs

So here's my questions:

1. I'd love to rip the Monsoon amp out and put something better in its place but with all the rewiring I'd have to do, I doubt I'll do it, so what's gonna play nice with the OEM amp?

2.Do I need to stick to the factory speaker's impedance to prevent any future troubles?

3.I want my sub to handle the bass, and let my interior speakers handle everything else. Would you recommend some type of high pass filter or installing an equalizer?

I know a lot about car audio but I've never gone this in-depth with it- I've always just kinda thrown speakers in my old rides (safely and always done correctly ) but with this car, I want to put the right stuff in since I can (somewhat) afford to now. Keep in mind with your responses, I'm working with ~$300. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:11 PM

Damn. I wish somebody replied to this because I'm thinking about doing the same thing
Old 06-18-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

rewiring that monsoon amp cost me an extra $100 or $150 at my local mach 1 audio. $400 parts / $400! labor. i wasn't expecting that. goodluck! i put in alpine speakers in stock location but if you've got the bucks focal speakers sounded amazing.

Quick Reply: Replacing Stock Speakers in Grand Prix GXP.