Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

99 Firebird Stereo w/screen

Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Firebird Stereo w/screen

Hey guys, I just got my first car which is a very nice Firebird. I want to install a custom stereo headset that has a screen so I can easily plug my mp4 player into it and watch any movie on the fly. What system do you guys recommend around the $180-$300 range? And what are some nice amps and speakers to go nicely with the recommended system. I have very little car know how, but I want to learn as much as possible. Thanks

Edit: Thought I should upload a picture of the car

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw

Last edited by Lynx17; 12-09-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added a picture
Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll assume you mean a double din, in which case you'll need a new bezel (plastic trim around your radio) to fit it, because the factory one is only a din and a half. Check out DoubleD mods, he's a sponsor here and he has everything you'll need. Since yours is a firebird and not a camaro, your bezel is cheaper too, which is always a good thing.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:21 PM

Thanks bill. And yeah that is what I meant I am going to look into that right now.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hijack, but does any cutting need to be done to the dash for something like this as long as I get the bezel? I called the stereo place I had planned to let install my VX401 and they are talking about trimming above and below the stereo. I was thinking all I needed was the bezel since the backstop thing was already cut off from behind the factory stereo.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since i own a trans am and have done this, ill chime in.
yes trimming needs to de done to the tray under the stock radio (just cut the entire thing out) and maybe some grinding of the plastic fins above it. if your looking for a cheap $120 headunit, you probably wont find a double din unless you want a flip out (then you dont need any cutting or special bezel) i found mine on craigslist for $250. as for "watching movies on the fly", being that this is your first car i dont think thats a good idea. and most radios now only support ipods when it comes to listening to something other then music. if you have just a cheap mp3 player, you will need one with a AV jack. and the ipod connector is an extra you have to buy
Old 12-15-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1st- Link doesn't work
2nd-Why are you wanting to watch movies on the fly? That is just asking for an accident.
3rd- Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is my install, it may help you:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...hlight=avic-d3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Firebird Stereo w/screen