Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon.. Antique?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon.. Antique?

Hey guys, I just bought a 2002 Trans Am and I love the look of the stock head unit with the equalizer. All of the speakers are blown, and the stock amp has a short running down the battery. I took it to a shop to get the short fixed and to replace the front speakers just to get some sound.

The guy at the shop told me that they didn't make 2OHM speakers anymore and a 4OHM speaker wouldn't sound near loud enough with the stock setup and wants me to either buy a new head unit or to get a whole new 6 channel (i forget what he called it) amp.
He kept on saying how the monsoon was antique technology and laughed at me for wanting to keep it stock. The car is 100% stock down to the exhaust and I wanted to keep it that way, but I NEED music. What do you guys think?
Thanks-Zack
Old 12-13-2011, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Kee Audio is the way to go for speakers! buy a used monsoon amp.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html

Done.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Launching!

i've heard of kee audio and i appreciate the link but it doesn't say if those speakers are 2 ohm or 4 ohm. cause the dude told me today that noone makes 2 ohm speakers anymore... ?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 PM

They make 2 ohm speakers. i ran into smae problem with a car audio store where I live. When it comes to the stock system, most people dismiss it as crap. While there are better systems out there, i think it takes away from stock interior. I do believe Kee Audio is the way to go, as they seem to be the only ones that sell the dual voice coil subwoofers (back passenger seating) that will fit and use the factory wiring. After Xmas holidays I will buying the complete Firebird 10 speaker set.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by homerz28
i've heard of kee audio and i appreciate the link but it doesn't say if those speakers are 2 ohm or 4 ohm. cause the dude told me today that noone makes 2 ohm speakers anymore... ?
Talk to Ian at keeaudio. As far as I know, his packages include 2 ohm speakers. In fact, my 2 ohm speakers from him should be delivered to my doorstep tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

People just don't know how good the completely factory stereo's sound in these cars. I wouldn't call it antique technology, I sure havn't ran across many other factory stereo's that pick up as much tone as the monsoon stuff does.

ok end of my rant
Old 12-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Said dude would be full of **** - he stands to profit by telling you that so you'll replace the speakers and buy a new amp to go with them.

The Kee Audio package is designed to work with the factory amp, so everything will be plug and play.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

I had an Alpine HU in my car for many years but it crapped out on me so I reinstalled the Monsoon. The Alpine definitely sounded better but I really like the Monsoon's old-fashioned ***** and straight-forwardness and simplicity. Plus I think it looks great in the dash. Since I'm not an audiophile I'm getting by ok with the Monsoon. One tweak I've found that helps the overall sound is to turn the fader about a quarter turn to the right. This seems to quiet the distortion from the rear speakers as long as I don't crank up the volume too much, although replacing the speakers would be a better solution. Bottom line is that everything considered I can live with my stock Monsoon HU.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I hated the Trans Am stock headunit, but I did like the Camaro one. Just got my Kenwood unit re-installed in the Trans Am, only thing I don't like is how far it sticks out. First shows how much it sticks out, second shows the bass **** I have mounted to control bass on the fly easily. All installed by my friend John at BB.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, the aftermarket HUs definitely produce much better sound than a Monsoon.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Said dude would be full of **** - he stands to profit by telling you that so you'll replace the speakers and buy a new amp to go with them.
We all get this. But anyone knows that replacing a 2 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm drops your amp output by half, and a sound reduction WILL follow. So the salesman is correct. Now, I don't know what ohm Monsoon door speakers are, and I don't care either. But the concept he is telling him is absolutely correct.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
We all get this. But anyone knows that replacing a 2 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm drops your amp output by half, and a sound reduction WILL follow. So the salesman is correct. Now, I don't know what ohm Monsoon door speakers are, and I don't care either. But the concept he is telling him is absolutely correct.
Except the salesman said they don't make 2 ohm speakers anymore .
Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Most mass market replacement speakers are 4 ohm.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Thanks for your input guys.
the one thing i LOVE about the stock unit is the 7 band equalizer. are there any aftermarket units that let you adjust the entire 7 band equalizer, and not just "low, mid, and high"?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
The concept, yes - that was never a debate in my mind, but saying that there are no 2-ohm speakers out there is not correct. The guy may not be able to pick one up off of HIS shelves, but they do exist.

Ian's already done the leg work here and has speakers that work with the factory Monsoon system (and with the correct impedance, SVC/DVC, etc.). That's what I'm getting at. Or I'm completely wrong, at which point I'm sure he'll chime in and correct me.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your input guys.
the one thing i LOVE about the stock unit is the 7 band equalizer. are there any aftermarket units that let you adjust the entire 7 band equalizer, and not just "low, mid, and high"?
My unit has a 5 band equalizer. You could also get a separate one.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Launching!

What kind of unit do you have Mr. Guitar?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

going from 2 to 4 ohm speaker isnt gonna cut loudness in half it wont be as loud but not half, most people dont notice
Old 12-14-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of unit do you have Mr. Guitar?
Kenwood BT-901. Only got it because of Zune integration. Does have that equalizer though as well as a lot of other settings to tweak it for your car. Wouldn't recommend it though, reason being it doesn't work great with the Zune (though it does work) and doesn't work that great for the iPod apparently.