Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Those that know a lot about Amps: Come In

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those that know a lot about Amps: Come In

Hey guys, I have a Terminator system in my DD, which includes 2 10s and a pioneer radio.

My Amps hasn't been turning on in about 3 weeks, or since it got cold out. It hasn't been above 35 degrees in about a month.

Do amps not turn on if they are too cold? From what little I have read online, the fuses sometimes blow inside of them. If I were to take it apart and look inside for a blown fuse, what would I look for??

Thanks for the help in advance!!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One amp, or multiple ? And how do you know they are not turning on ? Also, what kind of amp(s) ?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

One amp. It has red lights that indicate that its on, and they are off. Also, my subs are not working.

It is a MTX Terminator. TNA 251
Old 12-14-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should be normal for the subs not to work if the amp is off, but you probably already know that.

Just running through some possibilities...
If you have an ohm meter, make sure the +12 volt wire is indeed getting voltage (should be red)

There should also be a (typically blue) wire that is the remote wire, which will send 12 volts to the amp to turn it on/off. Make sure that is getting voltage when the head unit is on.

And, check your ground, make sure its getting good contact and there is no short between the ground terminal on the amp, and the chassis.

None of these are really weather-related, but worth a look. Also you say it has light(s)... How many, and are they labeled? (power, thermal/protect, etc?)

Edit:
Sorry, didn't see you listed the amp... From what I can tell it doesn't have any of the lights labeled. When the system did work, did all 3 light up?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Most amps I believe do not have internal fuses.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bill12690
It should be normal for the subs not to work if the amp is off, but you probably already know that.

Just running through some possibilities...
If you have an ohm meter, make sure the +12 volt wire is indeed getting voltage (should be red)

There should also be a (typically blue) wire that is the remote wire, which will send 12 volts to the amp to turn it on/off. Make sure that is getting voltage when the head unit is on.

And, check your ground, make sure its getting good contact and there is no short between the ground terminal on the amp, and the chassis.

None of these are really weather-related, but worth a look. Also you say it has light(s)... How many, and are they labeled? (power, thermal/protect, etc?)

Edit:
Sorry, didn't see you listed the amp... From what I can tell it doesn't have any of the lights labeled. When the system did work, did all 3 light up?
Thanks for the input. Yes all three lights come on when the amp is on and the system is working.

Within the past two days, I will turn the key to "accessory" and the head unit will turn on, and I hear a thump of the subs getting power, then turning off. During long drives the amp will turn on again for a short period, then turn off.

Also, when I turn on the car and the amp doesn't turn off right away, it will work for about the first 2 minutes then shut off. Annnnnd repeat those 3 things all the time. Very frustrating.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, check the quality of the remote turn-on lead connections, at both ends.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a shorting issue.
The amp(s) send a signal out and expect a certain load.
If the load is greater, they pop and reset when the load is reduced.
You have something shorting out to ground most likely.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, check the quality of the remote turn-on lead connections, at both ends.
Elaborate please if you could. The blue wire? The skinny blue wire that is connected to my amp and leads to my radio appears to be good on the amp side. Is your experience with this enough info for me to rip off my dash? lol

Sounds like a shorting issue.
The amp(s) send a signal out and expect a certain load.
If the load is greater, they pop and reset when the load is reduced.
You have something shorting out to ground most likely.
I was trying to figure it out tonight, and I looked where my ground wire is. It is in my spare tire well in my trunk (or under my hatch I suppose). When I was messing with it, my amp turned on (it does it randomly, and for a short period of time once a day) I then disconnected the ground wire from the wheel well, and the 3 lights started blinking all together. The subs were still bumping with the ground taken off though. Then I tried to screw the Ground wire back into the wheel well, and the subs shut off, like they always do.

Any opinions guys? This blows..
Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92builtbird
Elaborate please if you could. The blue wire? The skinny blue wire that is connected to my amp and leads to my radio appears to be good on the amp side. Is your experience with this enough info for me to rip off my dash? lol

I was trying to figure it out tonight, and I looked where my ground wire is. It is in my spare tire well in my trunk (or under my hatch I suppose). When I was messing with it, my amp turned on (it does it randomly, and for a short period of time once a day) I then disconnected the ground wire from the wheel well, and the 3 lights started blinking all together. The subs were still bumping with the ground taken off though. Then I tried to screw the Ground wire back into the wheel well, and the subs shut off, like they always do.

Any opinions guys? This blows..

yes, he means the blue wire. if you can, just test the voltage between the blue wire and your ground, any time the radio is on that should read 12 volts (basically telling your amp to turn on).

the 2nd part of your post is a bit confusing. what your explaining, if im understanding right, shouldn't happen...thats for sure.

but, if the amp turns on/off when you mess with the ground, it may not be making a good contact between the amp and the chassis. but, if you completely disconnect the ground it should not turn on..
Old 12-25-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

It was a ground issue.

Thanks for your help guys!

Quick Reply: Those that know a lot about Amps: Come In