Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Battery Tenders/Trickle Chargers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Tenders/Trickle Chargers?

Anyone use these when storing their cars? My question is have you noticed decreased battery life/failure as a result?
I ask as I used one for 3 seasons on my RedTop Optima and it croaked (they did give me 50% replacement value!), my OEM GM battery in my TBSS also died after 2 winters on a different Tender. This yr I have my new CTS Vagon strored and hooked up the charger as well as my replacement RedTop...Im a little worried!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are use using a tender or a trickle charger there is a difference

tender should not hurt battery at all
Old 12-21-2011, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

I just take the battery out and store it on a thick piece of wood on a shelf in the shop. When its time to use again, I charge it and its good to go. Do this with car and motorcycle batteries and never had an issue. Just put my bike battery up for storage again and this will be the 5th year on the same battery.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

I have used a Battery Tender Jr on my bikes for years .... never a problem. I don't plan to actually "store" my SS for Winter since there are still decent days throughout the Winter that I will drive it.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 85irocinjected
I just take the battery out and store it on a thick piece of wood on a shelf in the shop. When its time to use again, I charge it and its good to go. Do this with car and motorcycle batteries and never had an issue. Just put my bike battery up for storage again and this will be the 5th year on the same battery.
I hate rebooting all the software...had probs in the past.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
are use using a tender or a trickle charger there is a difference

tender should not hurt battery at all
Im gonna double check, but I assumed they were synonomous. Charges if it needs it then tends it once fully charged...
Old 12-21-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had a battery tender on my SS for 2 winters, this will be the 3rd. Never had a problem with my battery at all. Same story for my brother's old SS and my dad's LT1 SS
Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ctek 7002 is the only way to go, in my opinion. I do use them over the winter when I park a car. The charger can stay on indefinitely, but most chargers cannot.

Optima and GM batteries are ****. You want Deka Intimidator, Odyssey (also rebranded as Sears Diehard Platinum), Kinetik/Shuriken or XS Power. If I didn't list it there, don't buy it. I run a Deka Intimidator 9A31PH in my G8. You won't be able to fit a group 31 battery, but they've got other sizes.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a batteryminder from northern tool that i've used for the past 10 years with basically no problems that i would attribute to it.

I know that batteryminder (forget who the actual maker is) came out with a second model batteryminder charger/maintainer that was specifically for AGM batteries such as optima. Whether it does something different than my original model that I got I don't know, it may just be a marketing thing to get you to by two of them.

And I've used the cheapo $5 harbor freight float chargers on my optima, but you have to be careful that you have one that actually works, use a meter and make sure the battery actually rises up over 13.0 volts with it after 30 minutes.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Ctek 7002 is the only way to go, in my opinion. I do use them over the winter when I park a car. The charger can stay on indefinitely, but most chargers cannot.

Optima and GM batteries are ****. You want Deka Intimidator, Odyssey (also rebranded as Sears Diehard Platinum), Kinetik/Shuriken or XS Power. If I didn't list it there, don't buy it. I run a Deka Intimidator 9A31PH in my G8. You won't be able to fit a group 31 battery, but they've got other sizes.

CTEK is the best way to go!

69.99 with free Cig Lighter Adapter
http://shop.doubledmods.com/CTEK-MUL...?categoryId=-1
instock ready to ship

Dennis

Quick Reply: Battery Tenders/Trickle Chargers?