Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket Traction Control On/Off

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Traction Control On/Off

Was curious if it was possible to install a switch that could turn traction control on/off, or if anyone has ever done it. ive seen Trans Am's with the button, though Im not sure if it was a factory option, but if it is then it should be the same wire harness and possible?
Old 12-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If your car doesn't already have the switch, you are a lucky one and your car doesn't have TCS. The button you saw comes with the TCS option and is specifically for turning it off temporarily.

So... if you don't have TCS, why would you want to "turn it off?" Are you getting a low trac light?
Old 12-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Yeah I wasn't sure. I get a low Trac light when its wet out (obviously), and the ABS kicks in.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by FirebirdX
Yeah I wasn't sure. I get a low Trac light when its wet out (obviously), and the ABS kicks in.
Right. The TCS option and ABS system use the same wheel speed sensors and share the same light. If you start getting the light when you aren't legitimately slipping and sliding, there could be issues with the ABS system. (Some people also have problems when they mis-match tire sets, etc.)
Old 12-25-2011, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

I get that light when braking hard with my taller rear tires.
Non TCS Car
Old 12-25-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, if you dont have the black canister tcs module under the hood (behind battery on the fenderwall) then you dont have tcs, ive never had my abs light come on even in the rain... yall must stop hard haha
Old 12-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by BlaskO
I get that light when braking hard with my taller rear tires.
Non TCS Car
That will do it. The car expects that all the tires are the same size, as it came from the factory. Your taller tires will turn slower than the fronts over a given distance. When you brake hard, the ABS computer will take this to mean that some of your tires are slipping - improperly activating the ABS. (I'd expect that this could degrade your braking performace.)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Traction Control On/Off