Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alpine KTP-445 Amp, What Speaker (Coaxial 6.5)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alpine KTP-445 Amp, What Speaker (Coaxial 6.5)?

Hello everyone. I recently installed an Alpine CDE-121 head unit and KTP-445 Amp in my 2000 Z28. It is originally a monsoon car but the previous owner did some weird stuff with the stereo wiring so I decided it'd be best to wire the sail panel speakers and front door speakers directly to the head unit. About a year ago I replaced the door and sail panel speakers with Alpine Type G 6.5 coaxials and am so far satisfied with how they have performed. However, now that I am running the KTP-445 I am wondering if there are better speakers out there for me? The current Type G Alpine's sound good but they are a little muddy during certain songs and the highs aren't THAT sharp. Keep in mind I am not looking to spend much on a new set of speakers, but would like to explore what else is out there.

Specs on the amp are 4x45RMS, at least that's what it is rated at. Don't know if that number is accurate or not.

I have heard some good things about the Polk DB series but am not sure if those coaxials would pair well with my relatively low powered amp that I am running. Thanks everyone for any suggestions provided.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Why not component speakers up front? And what's your budget? Is $100-150 for a pair of speakers too much?

By the way, your #1 most important thing to do at this stage - if you haven't already - is to use something somewhat rigid like fiberglass or Secondskin Alphadamp to seal all the big gaps in the inner door skin. Covering them up will give you gains of 3-6dB in the bass/midbass range, which is the equivalent of running 2-4x power to the speakers but without the increased distortion/heat generation because it's an increase in efficiency. It will also lower distortion for any particular output level because the speakers will have to work less hard.

While I recommend other CLD than Alphadamp for most uses, Alphadamp is the only one I recommend for that because it has significantly more aluminum than other CLD and is thus much more rigid. In most uses, that doesn't matter much, but I feel it's important for that particular use.

Last edited by dragonrage; 12-29-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't really considered a pair of components as I wasn't sure where I should mount the tweeters. I know 6le sells the little pods that go where the side mirror garnish pieces are but didn't really consider components.

I would like to keep a pair of speakers under 100, but if the improvement is going to be dramatic I wouldn't mind increasing my budget.

I will look into the alpha damp and will likely do that before I go ahead and buy new speakers. I have also seen the buckets that go behind the speakers themselves, they look like they might be some kind of rubber material. Seems as if the idea is to seal off the back side of the speaker. Are these effective when used in conjunction with the alpha damp? Thanks very much for your assistance.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

No, don't use those. Those choke the speaker of air. Speakers need air just like subwoofers do.

I do highly recommend those tweeter pods; they improve the sound tremendously. If you are willing to use them, great. I had the same thing (from a different seller, but the same sort of product) when I had my Camaro.

I think you should think about (or describe in more detail) your goals and we can go from there.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Well my current goals are to improve the overall loudness of the system. What I mean by this is I want to be able to turn up the volume more without getting distortion and clipping that i'm getting now. I also notice that SOME songs will distort more than others, so those particular songs I am listening to at a lower level and it is at a volume that is difficult to hear with the windows down on the freeway. We also have to keep in mind that i'm cammed with an ORY and LMII catback, so its pretty loud just driving around.

I am more of a performance oriented enthusiast and am really not interested in having the best of the best stereo equipment. As far as stereo goes I prefer simplicity, which is one reason why I didn't go with a traditional external amp. It is also the reason why I didn't consider components at first. As stated previously I am satisfied with what I have now but would like to see if an improvement can be made with a few simple additions or changes. I am not looking to revamp my system or go with a high end speaker pair (over $150). I merely want to increase the volume and the clarity at higher listening volumes. I realize that I am hindered somewhat in that I don't want to run a traditional powered amplifier, or run subwoofer(s), etc. I am okay with that just want to see what else is out there and if there is a simple solution to my goal. Thank you very much for your time, this has been helpful. I am looking into the alpha damp and the damplifier products that secondskinaudio sells.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Okay, so you want SPL, not SQ. You do not need those tweeter pods or even components if you don't want to do them.

I recommend Massive Audio VK6s for something priced well. And definitely do the sound damping.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

Awesome, I will look into both thank you very much!

Quick Reply: Alpine KTP-445 Amp, What Speaker (Coaxial 6.5)?