Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

thoughts on jvc kw-xr610 or xr810

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default thoughts on jvc kw-xr610 or xr810

going to be getting a new head unit this winter and I am considering either of these JVC's. The KW-XR610 or the KW-XR810.
Was wondering if anybody has these and what you're opinions are,
and which would be the best choice? I don't need or want cell phone or bluetooth, just FM radio and cd player.
I just got Kee Audio's premium speaker package for camaro, and plan on using the stock monsoon amp.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoid JVC if you want good radio reception... They are TERRIBLE at that.

I recommend Clarion.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using JVC for years and the only reception issue I have had was with AM. Never had an issue with FM reception.
I have Clarion and they do make a great head unit, actually they were all I used to use in my cars. The issue I had was that Clarion only made head units with blue illumination which at that time didn't match the red of my Trans Am so I went with a upper level JVC unit and it was great. It did not pick up AM stations very well though but at that time I didn't care much about that. Never had an issue with reception on FM with them. I have a lower model JVC KD-A605 in my DD right now. The only issue I have with that one was that it didn't work with Pandora which the new units all do.
Clarion just started making 1 unit with red illumination again for 2012, CZ102, which is there entry level unit. Still a nice unit though, just not many options.
Both the double DIN units mentioned above are pretty good but why go double DIN without the touch screen option? Just got the new 2012 KW-AV50 and still have some AVX640's as well. Both are in the $300.00 range for a nice unit with some nice options.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between my cousin and I who both install car audio on the side, we've both installed some lower-end JVCs with the proper antenna adapters and have had the reception go from dozens of stations down to 0-5. Heard a lot of similar stories from others as well... I guess it might not apply to all of their stuff, but it annoyed me enough to assume so.

Quick Reply: thoughts on jvc kw-xr610 or xr810