Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

LED Switchback questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Switchback questions...

So I've been looking at getting some LED switchbacks for a while, since my DRL bulb just went out today I'm gonna take the plunge and buy new housings and bulbs.

I know that most LED switchbacks run like normal with the lights off (flashing amber), and when the lights are on, they are white and flash to amber with the blinker.

Is there a possible way to wire then so they stay white with the parking/fog lights on? I've read some threads on this and heard things about re-wiring the harness, but got pretty confused
Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There is no simple way to do that. The factory bulbs are dual filament - a bright filament for both DRLs and turn signals and a dim filament for parking lights (when the headlights are on). Switchbacks are essentially the same except that they produce white light in place of the dim parking light. The bright DRL and turn signal is always amber.

Power for the two is on different wires - parking lights on the brown wire and DRL/turn signals on the blue wire - so you'd have to find some way to split the DRL power and the turn signal power onto separate wires to run the two colors of the switchback bulbs. Either that or disable the factory DRLs and rewire the parking lights to work as DRLs instead.