Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

OEM Monsoon Sub rattling in sail panel: Common?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Monsoon Sub rattling in sail panel: Common?

Basically, think of those kids that crank their bass to 11 at a light and rattle the windows on your car. That's what I'm getting if I kick in 1/4 or more of the equalizer on my Monsoon. Mounts and speaker are all in working order and the sub/speaker itself is brand new.

Panel's velcro is shot but holding the panel in place while cranking it doesn't change anything. Speaker itself sounds fine when unmounted and hand held so I'm at a WTF point now.

Ideas?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Zabo
Basically, think of those kids that crank their bass to 11 at a light and rattle the windows on your car. That's what I'm getting if I kick in 1/4 or more of the equalizer on my Monsoon. Mounts and speaker are all in working order and the sub/speaker itself is brand new.
Its not just common. Its institutional. The stock design can't handle the radio. Its common to have a new OEM design speaker blow instantly. The foam suspension that holds the moving cone to frame of the speaker is weak and tears. If the speaker you got was sitting on a shelf for years, the suspension may have been deteriorating over time, as well.

If you search on this site and look at the stickeies, you'll find endless threads on these speakers. Kee Audio has several aftermarket options that will make all your problems go away.

Originally Posted by Zabo
Panel's velcro is shot but holding the panel in place while cranking it doesn't change anything. Speaker itself sounds fine when unmounted and hand held so I'm at a WTF point now.
Even if your speaker is fine and your paneling is rattling, the speaker will soon be shot. The panels had this issue from the factory and there was a TSB to fix it: (They did not design in enough velcro to hold the panels in properly.)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-interior.html