Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Trying to install integrated bluetooth kit, why is Kenwood unit going into protect?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to install integrated bluetooth kit, why is Kenwood unit going into protect?

I have a 2002 Camaro V6 base stero system (non monsoon) wiring
My head unit is a Kenwood KDC-HD548U
Bluetooth kit is Scosche BT800

I am trying to hook up an aftermarket bluetooth kit that will connect with any car radio system. I got all the speaker wires and eletrical wires connected and the mute wire hooked up.When I try to place a call the radio goes into protect mode but you can still hear the call through the speakers. Do I need an additional relay or am I doing something wrong?

Wires bluetooth kit came with to connect
-ACC 12vdc in (I hooked this up to red ignotion wire in radio harness)
-Battery 12vdc in (Hooked this up to yellow battery wire in radio harness)
- Ground (I hooked this up to the black ground wire in radio harness)
- To right speaker (+&- wires) -connected it properly
- To left speaker (+&- wires) - Connected it properly
- to radio left channel + & - wires ( I assumed this is the same as the left/right speaker settings so I hooked these up to rear left speaker wires on radio harness)
- to radio right channel + & - wires ( I assumed this is the same as the left/right speaker settings so I hooked these up to rear right speaker wires on radio harness)
- ACC Radio interrupt in wire (I left this wire unused)
- ACC Radio interrupt out wire*** ( I conected this to mute wire)

***Connectes to the radio as eithier ACC or (-) Mute in, which ever is used.

Important news (I didnt quite understand this section, so I'm not too sure if I need an addional relay)
1. If your radio is equipped with a (-) mute input lead, connect the (-) mute out from the kit to the (-) mute input lead of the radio. This is typically perferable over interrupting the radio ACC. Refer to radio manual to verify if radio is equipped with a (-) mute input lead (ok so I know my radio has a mute wire so thats why I connected it)
2. When using the (-) mute out to trigger a relay, connect the relay coil terminals together with a diode (stripe toward 12vdc). When Using an interface module that mutes the radio, connect the (-) mute wire from kit and the 12vdc wire powering the interface module together with a diode (stripe toward 12vdc). (I didn't do anything for this, thinking since I had the mute wire on the radio connected with the mute wire in the kit that everything would work fine)
Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your grounds.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok here is your issue. those wires you hooked to rear speakers unhook them

to right speaker and to left speaker go to your right and left speakers
to radio left and right channels go to the wires coming from your radio for left and right speakers

you have to physically cut the left and right speaker wires and hook the radio end to the radio sides of the bluetooth box, and the speaker side to speaker side of bluetooth box
Old 01-20-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
ok here is your issue. those wires you hooked to rear speakers unhook them

to right speaker and to left speaker go to your right and left speakers
to radio left and right channels go to the wires coming from your radio for left and right speakers

you have to physically cut the left and right speaker wires and hook the radio end to the radio sides of the bluetooth box, and the speaker side to speaker side of bluetooth box
Good help right here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to install integrated bluetooth kit, why is Kenwood unit going into protect?