Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new to me camaro aftermarket alarm?? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me camaro aftermarket alarm?? Need advice

Ok guys I could really use some advice here. I just picked up my first f-body. a 1995 camaro. So far the car seems to be great! for the price I paid I know ill be replacing a few parts but today I went to go rewire thie radio and found a little surprise.

I dropped the driver side lower dash part to find the aftermarket alarm brain. Now as of right now everything DOES work and seems to work just fine. The only thing im not sure about is the level of installation. Everything looks to be t-tapped. and I also found my spare key tucked under the dash connected to VATS wiring.

I would either like to remove the alarm all together or at least clean up the install and make sure the car isnt catching on fire any time soon! I read how to bypass the VATS using the resistor or should I just leave it all alone?
Is it normal to just use the t-tapps on an install like this?

My biggest concern is safety at this point. Also I found what looks to be a power wire of some kind under the hood by the fuse box.

If I remove the alarm then I have to make sure all the wires that were tapped are covered up so they dont ground out or anything like that, and also how do I know the car will start? Im guessing the car had factory keyless entry so can I just get a remote and have it programmed to work like factory?

What would you guys do?
Ive attached some pics so you guys can see what im talking about and please give me any advice about what you think!!

The biggest thing im worried about is these wires. They are crimped, factory or aftermarket?

This is the under hood wire I was talking about. Not sure what the hell it is.

Sorry for the long post!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks like a nightmare, I vote for a reinstall with something aftermarket.

No need to go factory, there are much better systems than factory.
The Range of the fob to car is a great example of why I 'd stay away from factory remote.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

I cut out some zip ties and let the wiring harness slack out and it doesn't look as bad as in the pic now. But all the t-taps is what I'm kinda worried about. If I can get all the wires straightened out and re-routed nice I wouldn't mind keeping it if the t-taps are legit. If not I'll rip it all out and start over!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Quick question!
Do you guys think this is a fire hazzard? That is my biggest concern right now
Thanks a lot

Quick Reply: new to me camaro aftermarket alarm?? Need advice