Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Gauges

For electric autometer oil pressure, water temp, volts, and fuel level will it be possible to splice in to the factory harness and use the stock senders? Or will i need to use autometer sending units?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Teching In

bump im not sure if this is in the correct section?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

i believe it depends on the gauge type and company, i would consult the gauge manufacturer
Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Youngblood94
For electric autometer oil pressure, water temp, volts, and fuel level will it be possible to splice in to the factory harness and use the stock senders? Or will i need to use autometer sending units?

you need the autometer sending units..for the Oil pressure and the Water temp

and that goes for both full sweep or short sweep electrical gauges

the only one you can use the stock sender, is if you buy one of the full sweep programmable Fuel gauges...and I mean one that can use a custom setting...
you can then use a resistor to program it for 40ohms empty, 250ohm full and it works(or you can drain teh tank and fill it... but its easier to just use resistors, which is what I did)

water temp you can put their sender in the passenger side head

oil pressure you can just change out since the stock pcm doesnt get that anyways on the Fbody cars
the autometer sender is 0psi = .5 volts, 100psi = 4.5 volts with a linear scale

Volts doesnt have a sender.. Just tap into any ignition on power wire and a ground and any dimmer wire from any other switch/gauge

and if you need the gauges... I actually have all of those mentioned for sale...no senders though...I'm still using the senders
Old 01-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Teching In

I have them all but the fuel level! Is there not a gauge i can order for the gm signal? And thank you for the input!! Now i can just make one order lol!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:32 PM
8 Second Club

nope....or atleast, not that I know of...and I searched pretty heavily before I changed out my gauge cluster...

sorry...

no way to interpret the GM data bus to use anybody's gauge, and no way to use GM sensors directly with autometer gauges.

I've gone thru a couple of changes on my car...
When I lost the stock ECM, I at first bought a bunch of autometer gauges...
now I've switched to Holley Digital gauges because its so much easier to run and they are easily switchable to read anything that I want them to...

Pictures are both versions for your enjoyment...

First Version...

Version 2...with Holley Gauges..

Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Teching In

looks pretty good! Mines just gonna be gauges in the cluster and a tach on the dash... I ordered my sending units last night now im just trying to figure out what i want to do about the fuel level gauge!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Youngblood94
looks pretty good! Mines just gonna be gauges in the cluster and a tach on the dash... I ordered my sending units last night now im just trying to figure out what i want to do about the fuel level gauge!

again,... for the fuel gauge you can use your stock sender...
Just get any autometer full sweep electrical gauge that allows custom calibration..I used a sport comp 2 gauge....it is for sale if you want it...

then find out what your stock sender min/max ohms values are, and buy some resistors to program the gauge with...its what I did, and it worked perfect

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Gauges