Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

SVC vs. DVC question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SVC vs. DVC question

Car is a 2000 Firebird. I'm looking to replace the sail panel subs with aftermarket 6.5" component subs. I know these are 4ohm DVC speakers. Can I use a 4ohm SVC speaker, and if so how do I wire them up? I'm looking at the Kicker Comp VT subs. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

I have SVC speakers in the sail panels, and I just wired up 2 of the wires to the new speaker instead of all 4. Not sure if that's the correct way to do that though, but at least it works! lol
Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Wondering the same thing, but in general subs or components... Pros and cons of DVC and SVC?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There is no way to properly wire all four wires in a Firebird Monsoon system to an SVC sub. As Krazedkuniva said, you can just use one pair of wires and leave the others unconnected, giving up half the available power.

There are a number of reasons that DVC speakers are slightly better from an audiophile's point of view but they are mostly insignificant in a car (not the best audio environment). They are quite useful from an installer's point of view because they provide flexibility for impedance matching and they can be wired with smaller wire. A 4-ohm DVC sub can be wired for 2 or 8 ohms using both coils or 4 ohms using one coil. Using both coils splits the current requirement between two pairs instead of one allowing the use of smaller, more flexible wires (this applies only to setups like the Monsoon where the voice coils are powered by separate channels of the amp).

From an end user's perspective, there is no significant difference in sound between SVC and DVC subs of equivalent specs.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you aren't changing the amp, go to Kee Audio and he'll have several DVC options for you.

Quick Reply: SVC vs. DVC question